Chapter 2

I woke up to the shrill sound of my alarm. I got out of bed and did my morning routine before going down for breakfast with my mom. Unlike any other morning, my mom was fully dressed in her work clothes and already had breakfast on the table.

Did I wake up late or something? I wrote down on a piece of paper.

My mom looked and she laughed. "No I just felt bad about not being able to pick you up from school yesterday so I'm going to drive you today."

You do know I would get there early, right? I responded on the paper. Every time my mom drives me to school I get there early because my mom has to be at work before I start school. She works in New York City so It's a 40 minute commute.

"Yes. Is that alright with you?" She asked.

Yeah. It's fine. I wrote and finished my breakfast.

...

We pulled up in front of the school and my mom gave me a hug. "Have a great day. Love you!" She called to me.

I put my hand over my heart and smiled to show her that I love her too. It was something I did when I was too lazy to write it out or I didn't have time to get my phone or didn't have it on me.

I walked into the school and went straight to the library. Thank god it was open. Delores waved at me and I politely waved back. I laid out on the couch in the back and started reading.

20 minutes later someone walked into the room.

"Hey Delores, can you print about 35 copies for me?" A voice.

"Sure thing. How do you like teaching so far?" SHe asked.

"Well it's definitly a step up from student teaching and subbing." He laughed. "But it's fun. I like it a lot." He answered.

"Thats good. Here you go." She said and handed him some papers. It looked like he was about to leave so I looked away just incase he caught me watching hin.

"Hey I remember you. You're in my last period right?" Mr. Smith asked.

I nodded.

"You don't talk muck, do you?" He said sitting down next to me. I sat up to make more for him.

I shook my head and held up my finger to say 'wait a minute'.

I'm mute. I typed into my phone.

It only took hin a second to read. "Oh you're my mute student. Um...Scarlette, right?"

Yeah but I go by Scar. I typed.

"Well Scar, do you want to come back to my room, Eli is there so he can keep you company." He offered.

I wanted to say no and that I was perfectly fine in my comfortable position on the couch. But I found it difficult to turn down his offer. He has the voice of persuation. So I nodded my head and got up to follow him while waving goodbye to Delores.

When we got to the room there was a boy there with a letterman jacket on and black pants. He had light brown curly hair that was cut neatly but still managed to look like bed head. His feet were on the desk and he was doing something on his phone.

"Eli, what did I say about your feet on my desks?" Mr. Smith asked.

"Living up to the teacher expectations I see." He retorted. "You know, for a 'laid back' teacher, you sure are strict when it comes to feet on desks. My feet especially."

"That's because I'm trying to create less work for the janitors and your muddy, stinky, football feet aren't helping."

Eli rolled his eyes. "Whatever." He muttered and put his feet down.