Chapter 4 - Just Nash

I smashed my fist down on the snooze button on my alarm. Today was the day I got to know my hero's identity.

I hopped out of bed and switched on the news while I poured a bowl of Cheerios. My small apartment was very cold this morning. I made my way to the patio to eat my cereal outside.

I opened the glass doors and grinned at the L.A. skyline. My apartment was far enough from the city that I could see all of Los Angeles from my balcony.

Sometimes I felt unsafe living so far away all alone. And after The Pernicious attack I had started searching for closer places to live.

I took bites of my cereal and listened to the hectic silence of the city. My phone sat on the small table and interrupted my thoughts with a vibration.

"Verona. yeah I'm kind of in love with that name. It's so unique. okay now that I sound completely creepy, tonight I'm taking you out to a super nice restaurant. So dress top notch.

-Mystery Man"

I couldn't hide the laugh that escaped my lips as I finished reading the text. My night in shinning Armour seemed to be acting king of weird.

Once I reread the message I sighed. I didn't have many fancy dresses to wear. just a few things from high school and a dress I wore to a wedding a year ago.

"Damn." Another sigh came out of my mouth as I pushed my bowl Into the sink and went to search my bare closet.

Two sparkly prom dresses, one small black dress, and a long lace dress looked at me from my bed. I scrunched my eyebrows and picked up the black dress.

It was simple, yet elegant. The strapless piece of cloth was the best I had. The low cut was bold, but not slutty and the dress fell to mid thigh and hugged my body.

I found some red heels, handbag, and a gold locket that never left my neck. I applied some mascara and red lipgloss.

By the time I was officially ready it was 3:30pm. My stranger said he'd pick me up around 4.

Just as I plopped on my couch the doorbell rang. I froze. He was early?

'what if it's not him?'

My heart raced as I slowly peeked into the hole in my door. Whoever was there blocked my view of them by covering the hole.

"Who's.... who's there?" My voice cracked and i heard the fear in it.

The visitor knocked and laughed. Again that sound was so pleasant to my ears. I breathed; not realizing I had been holding my breath.

I swung the door open and playfully smacked the teen.

"You scared me! I'm a defenseless young girl living away from the city. you could've been a murder or The Pernicious!" I said jokingly even though i spoke the truth.

"Actually, I'm just Nash." He smiled and took my hand.

"Nash?" I stared at him. Again the name was one I knew I'd heard before, but i couldn't remember where.

"Yup." He blushed and stared at the ground.

"I love it." I boldly grabbed his hand and he walked me out to the cab outside.

"Ready for our first adventure?" Nash whispered in my ear as the cab driver sped down the road.

I shivered in happiness. 'our first'? it implied that Nash planned on seeing me more after tonight. Although i wanted to see him again, another part of me feared it.

"Verona? Are you okay?" Nash turned my chin towards him.

"Yes. I'm kind of nervous. I guess." It wasn't a total lie.

"Me too." He chuckled.

Suddenly I calmed down. Knowing Nash was worried about tonight made me worry less. I smiled at him as he grabbed my hand.

I looked at his face and tried to think of why it was so familiar.