Chapter 5 - Dinner for Two

When I was younger my mother used to tell me stories of how America used to be one of the leading countries in the world. I could never really believe it.

45% of America's population was in poverty and looking out the cab window I saw more homeless signs than shoppers. After The Pernicious came out from hiding the whole world's population dropped rapidly.

2057 was when the world took a turn for the worst. Earth's human population went from 8.9 billion to 5.3 billion in just a year. Cities were wiped off the map and it seemed nothing could stop The Pernicious.

Not only were The Pernicious strong, fast, and deadly, but they also didn't age. One of their kind could live forever if they aren't caught. The thought scared me.

The Story goes that some of The Pernicious teamed up and decided to 'Be Good'. That was in 2068, when the world was nearly destroyed.

I personally didn't believe that their kind could just 'be good'. I knew that it was in their blood to kill.

But the killings stopped and things went back to 'normal'. People acted like nothing had happened. In reality there was only 3.4 Billion people left in the world and I was so fortunate to be one of them.

I had moved to L.A. In 2067, believing it would be safer since it was one of the least crime rated cities. Three years later almost all of The Pernicious were killed or in hiding. And i thought I had escaped the wrath they brought.

I was knocked back into the present when the taxi rolled to a stop in front of an Italian restaurant. Nash helped me out of the car and held onto my hand as we made our way up the stairs.

The car ride had been silent, but it wasn't uncomfortable. Although I glanced at Nash, hoping he'd say something.

"Hope you like Italian. I guess I should have asked first." He gave a nervous laugh as he held the door open for me.

"Its actually my favorite." I smiled and Nash lead me to a booth. We were secluded from the rest of the diners.

The restaurant had hundreds of lights hanging like a canopy on the ceiling. But even with all the lights it was still kind of dim. At each table there was a candle and the artwork mirrored ancient Italy.

It was beautiful and i felt under dressed in my simple black dress. As i glanced at other women i realized how nice this restaurant was. I could never afford to come here.

The women wore big hats and shiny jewelry with long elegant dresses. The men were in suits with spiffy ties.

Even Nash was wearing a black suit and a red tie. I hadn't really realized that we matched. I giggled quietly to myself.

The waiter came and took our orders immediately. After he left Nash looked at me.

"So Verona? How long have you lived in L.A?"

"It'll be four years in November. I moved here when I was 17 and i turn 21 next month. And you?"

Nash put a playful smile on his face as he answered the question.

"Been here for two year and I'm 19. I'm on a date with an older woman." He bite his lip and laughed a wholehearted laugh.

I laughed with him and caught myself staring at him. His smile was better than anyone I've ever met and his laugh was like music.

I don't know what it is about this guy, but i was really starting to like him. and that wasn't good, especially since I didn't know him.

"So Nash, tell me about your family, friends, big adventures, and heart breaks."

His blue eyes clouded with thoughts. for a moment I thought he was going to ignore my interest in him.

He parted his lips to speak and then shut his mouth. his hand ran through his nicely combed hair and he sighed.

"Where do I begin?"