Chapter 25 - Insane

"He'll die before I let him take you again." Jet smirked.

This wasn't the guy I fell in love with so many years ago. The man before me was sinister and his hubris confidence made me sick. How could he have the audacity to tell me he'd kill Nash? The Jet I knew wouldn't hurt a soul and was shy, timid, and gutless. Not only had his body changed, but his heart was no longer the same.

I don't know what got into me, but i started laughing. A psychotic fit of laughter rang around the room. Jet gave me a worried, confused look.

"Why are you laughing?" He asked.

"You think you can kill him? Please! You couldn't even kill me when you had the chance! If you can't kill a human, how would you expect to kill someone as robust as Nash? You. Are. Nothing." I laughed even harder.

I couldn't help it. So much had changed in a short period of time. My life had been threatened too much and I've lost too many loved ones.

The weight of my pain and suffering had finally reached its maximum capacity. The strong walls I put up to protect myself were slowly crumbling down. I suppose the aftermath of losing those walls is that I also lost my sanity.

Jet's lips curled into a snarl and his eye grew dark again. I was scared; I just hoped it wasn't obvious. He said he wouldn't hurt me, but my trust for him vanished once I found out he had attacked me.

"I'm superior to that lowlife of a leader. Don't talk about things you are ignorant to." He roared at me as he grabbed my chin.

"What happened to you? What did they do to you?" I yanked my face out of his grasp and quietly asked him.

"I grew up. This world isn't for the weak. The weak die in a world like this. I'm sorry to say, but Pernicious are meant to rule the galaxy.  There's such thing as good and bad anymore. Nature is just separating the anemic from the vigorous. I'm honestly surprised you lived to this day. That is why I'm going to change you; protect you." He sounded so bold and mighty. Maybe he was crazy.

Then his words sunk in. He was going to change me? I didn't know exactly what he meant,  but I had an idea.

"What do you mean by change?" My voice cracked.

"Verona,  don't be afraid of my kind. You'll be just like us soon enough." He smirked and walked out of the small room.

I was alone, again,  in the darkness. My internal walls finally turned to dust. As soon as the door closed I cried. I couldn't stay strong anymore and I finally just broke down.

How fair is this life? Some people are just born lucky, but not me. I don't understand what I did to deserve all of this. I don't want immunity and to live for all eternity. I just want to live my short, miserable life. That's how it should be.

How do you even change a human into a Pernicious? I knew it was possible; there had been rare known cases it. How do they do it? You can't just change species.

I hope Nash finds me soon. I don't want to change into his kind. After seeing Jet i now know that changing turns you into to a completely new person. An evil, twister, sinister creature.

Nash please save me.