Chapter 26 - The Younger One

I had fallen asleep and woken up multiple times. My stomach ached for any source of food and my mouth was dry from lack of water. I don't know how long I've been in here, but I haven't seen anyone since Jet last left. I felt like I've been alone for days.

The least he could do was feed me. I was going to die of starvation if I didn't get food soon. This whole 'winning my heart back' thing wasn't going to work if I died.

I rolled my eyes as I thought about  this abhorrent situation. I was just a walking, breathing bad luck charm. Or maybe not a bad luck charm; I'm more of a tornado. I destroyed everything in my path, but I escaped danger. That is until now.

My mind kept telling me that Nash would come rescue me so, but as the hours pasted that promise turned more into a dream. It is truly amazing how things can change so fast. A few days ago I was going into work, then Nash took me to the cabin, and now I'm being held hostage.

Without warning the door flew open. I jumped with anticipation.  Hopefully they brought me something to survive on. I looked up at the unfamiliar boy with desire.

He walked in with a tray of food! I almost hugged the young boy before me. As soon as he set the tray down i dug into the small meal. There was just enough to keep me satisfied.  I chewed on my bread, while the boy turned to leave.

"Wait!" I stopped him by tugging at the bottom of his jeans.

He turned around and his eyes met mine. His were just like Nash's; an indescribable blue shade. He even kind of looked similar to Nash, but this boy had to be only 15 or 16.

"Please stay and talk to me. I'm going crazy listening to this deafening silence." I mumbled.

He gave me a puzzled look, but sat beside me anyway. It kind of bothered me how much this kid looked like Nash. I missed Nash dearly, so to be reminded of him hurt.

" What's your name?" I wondered out loud.

"Hayes." The boy responded.

"I'm Vero-"

"I already know." Hayes rudely cut me off.

"Oh... sorry. Uh. How old are you?"

"Fourteen."

"You look older." I smiled at him. Maybe he was just extremely shy.

"I get that a lot." Hayes replied with another short answer.

"Are you on of them?" I asked the question I was dying to ask.

"If by 'them' you mean the Pernicious,  then yes." He spat at me.

"I've only met one other Pernicious with blue eyes. I'm sure you've heard of him... Nash Grier?" I blushed at the thought of Nash. It feels like I haven't seen him in forever.

"I hate him." Hayes growled.

"Oh... why?" His hostility towards me was starting to annoy me. I hade been nothing, but nice to this kid.

"He's left me behind."

"Left you?" I questioned.

"He's my brother." Hayes muttered viciously.

Then it clicked. Maybe this is why Hayes seemed to hate me. I was associated with his brother who abandoned him. Oh my God! Nash worries about Hayes.

"You're his brother?" I gasped.

"Can't see the family resemblance? He also left our baby sister; like he cared anyway. " He snickered.

"He worries about you constantly! That is his biggest regret! Hayes you can't blame him for leaving. He did what he thought was right!" I defended Nash.

"Well hopefully he doesn't leave you like he left me. In fact I'm really hoping he comes, so I can finally get the revenge I've been craving." Hayes smirked at the thought.

I cringed.  How could this world create such a hateful person. His eyes show that he's innocent,  but his heart was full of rage.

"He loves you." I mumbled.

"Well that won't stop me from killing him." He threatened while he got up to leave, once again.

I didn't stop him. I just sat there, speechless. That was his family and he'd kill him? Please tell this is just a dream.

I pushed away the tray; my appetite had disappeared. Once again I was surrounded by the darkness.