Chapter 24 - Why Me?

A huge headache was erupting through my head when I awoke.  At first I thought it was a dream, then I fluttered my eyes open.

It was so dark and the room was freezing cold. Goosebumps littered my skin as I tried to warm myself up. There wasn't any windows in my tiny dungeon, so no light entered the room.

I tried to stand,  so I could find a door. My legs were shaking as I stood.  I felt so nauseous;  probably from the drug they injected into my body. When I went to take a step I fell down, because something pulled me back. I fell on my side with a grunt. My hands found my ankle. Well it should've been my ankle, but something cold and metal was locked around my skin.

I was chained like a damn dog. I promise whoever was messing with me  would get an ear full of complaints. Hopefully Nash would come save me soon. I didn't doubt his affection for me anymore;  it was quite obvious he'd break bones to see me.

Maybe that's why I wasn't afraid, even though I should be. A year ago I would have been crying and begging for mercy. Now I just sat in the corner with my arms around my legs as I tried to keep warm. I felt safe knowing Nash wouldn't let anything happen to me, even though I was (for a moment) in some danger.

Suddenly light flooded into the bare room. My eyes scanned the area. The only thing that I saw was the chain binding my leg to the wall. I doubt anyone could really call this a room; more like a closet.

My attention snapped back to the now open door. A man was standing and observing me. His face looked familiar in a way. He had black hair with blond highlights and a perfect jawline. Stubble hair lined his chin and upper lip and his lips were so soft. Oh and of course he had dark red eyes. A damn good looking Pernicious... there seemed to be a lot of those.

"Who the hell are you and why the hell did you chain me to a wall?" I bravely asked. If I wasn't already so cold, then goosebumps would have risen on my skin from the angry tone of my voice.

"I'm sorry about those, but I didn't want you to run away from me again." The man explained part of my questions.

"Again?"

"You don't remember me?" His evil voice sounded offended.

Then it hit me. This man was the same guy who attacked me! He was the reason I met Nash. Without his desperate need for pain, I could be living my normal life... alone.

I moved as far away from him as I could. It wasn't much distance though, since this room (sorry closet) was so small. He gave me a sinister smirk and grabbed my foot and pulled me closer to him. The chain dug into my ankle alittle and a whimper escaped my mouth.

"Verona, I'm sorry I lost control last time. I found you at a very bad time. I was just have the urge to kill that day, but I'm fine now." He apologized while his nails dug into my leg.

"Found me?? WHO ARE YOU?" I burst out. I couldn't take it anymore.  I didn't care if he killed me for yelling at him. I just needed to know who he was and why he came after me.

"You know me! I came back for you! I found you in that ally and then a few days later I saw you in the news with him! You two were in restaurants one day, aquariums the next, and then he took you to his cabin. Tell me, Verona, did you have fun with him? How could you do that to me?" He roared.

I sat there afraid and dumbfounded. I don't know why he cared who I was with. Nash saved me from this guy in front of me! Is he mad I chose my hero instead of my killer?

"Who. Are. You." I spoke each word slow and clear. I could tell I was about to explode again.

"Your first love. I had hoped I'd be your only love, but I guess we don't always get what we wish for." His eyes seemed to grow an even darker shade of red.

That's when I knew. I haven't seen him in so many year; hell I thought he died with everyone else. My heart ached for the life we once lived together. I just wanted to be fourteen again; wrapped in his arms and being carefree. Back then I used to think we were meant for each other. Then I lost him.

"J-Jet? No. You died. Jet died with everyone else. My whole town died, but I escaped and lived... alone. Jet's gone. You can't be him. He would never hurt me, let alone try to murder me." I spat. I ripped my hand out of his. I hadn't  even realized he had grabbed it.

The memories of Jet and my adolescent years filled my mind and brought tears to my eyes. I wanted it back. I wanted Marisol to run around, while Mom told us to come in for dinner. I'd like to believe things would be great if they had never been taken from me.

"Verona,  I'm right here. And I am so so sorry for the harm I caused you. That wasn't me. This is me. I didn't die that night; I should have though. One of them found me; he was a good Pernicious. The only way I could live was to turn into one of them. So that is why I'm this monster you see before you. I won't hurt you again. I've missed you so much." His eyes turned to a very light red, almost pink. They still scared me though.

"Jet?" I spoke his name. I haven't said it in so long that I almost forgot what it felt like to say it.

"I'm here." Jet's hand caressed my cheek. I pulled away. It disgusted me that he thought I would forgive him and leave Nash.

"Nash will be here for me soon too. He'll save me." I spoke confidently.

"He'll die before I let him take you again."