Chapter 1 - The Attack

"Please" My eyes opened enough to see my attacker. His hood covered all of his face, except for his mouth which was twisted into a sinister smile.

Beside us I could hear the screaming fans cheering; oblivious to what was happening to me in the ally way. All I wanted was to get to work and avoid the crowd, but now I might die.

"It's sad how close to safety you are." His voice was raunchy and evil. I felt something sharp and cold dig into my upper thigh. Then a cool, sticky liquid ran down my leg.

I wanted to scream, but i felt so weak. The building next to us was filled with hundreds of people. Some event was going on. Magcon? Digifest? I couldn't remember the name.

I figured that security would be everywhere, but no one was here to save me. No one was going to swoop in and rescue me.

"Please don't do this. I'll give you whatever you want. Please just let me go." I didn't want this awful man to see me as weak, but the tears run down my cheeks with each breath I took.

I grabbed for anything, but only managed to pull off his hood. Revealing his blood red eyes and jet black hair.

Of course I'd read about these kinds of monsters; the kind children refer to as 'The killers'. Their kind was known as The Pernicious.

The Pernicious only live to kill and although not many were left, I knew that this is what the creature was.

I closed my eyes and waited for death to greet me. I felt a knife being pressed to my throat.

I don't remember what happened next; there was a bang and then I blacked out.

The last thing I saw was The Pernicious being pushed off of me and then I was seeing bright blue.