chapter 23

*Sam's POV*

After I had written my new letter to Nicole I sealed it in an envelope. I went downstairs hoping my family wouldn't acknowledge me so I could drop the letter at her house. Unfortunately, Annie had saw me.

"Hey Sammy! Where are you going?" she asked as I put my jacket on.

"Oh I'm just gonna go for a drive. I'll be back soon." I said and quickly slipped out of the house before anyone could ask anything else. I got into my car and started it. I turned on the radio as I waited for it to warm up a bit, when the passenger door opened, and Ben got in. "What are you doing?" I asked him as he put his seat belt on.

"I thought I'd come on your 'drive' with you. I haven't seen you in a while, little bro." he said, putting air quotes around drive.

"Thanks Ben, but I'd rather be alone."

"I know that you're going to bring a letter to Nicole's house." he said.

I looked up at him. "How?"

"Well first of all, Em and Annie told me that you write her letters a lot, so I kinda figured. And second of all you came downstairs with an envelope in your hand. Kinda obvious." he chuckled lightly.

"How did the girls know?" I asked him.

"They still text her a lot. And whenever she's home and they are too they hang out. They like formed a clique. She told them everything, including your occasional letters."

"Oh" I bluntly said.

"You are probably thinking I'm gonna make fun of you for writing her, but I'm not. I think that's cool and I can only wish I was as much as a gentlemen as you are with her." he patted my shoulder.

"Alright well lets get this over with." I sighed and pulled out of the driveway. We arrived at her house soon.

"Well, this is her house." I said, looking at her ginormous house. We were at the end of her driveway, parked at the side in front of her mailbox that read 'Hardings'.

"Damn this is a big house" Ben said.

"Yeah, it's a big house filled with endless memories." I sighed. I opened the door and the cold December air took over me. Shutting my door, I made my way to the other side of the car where the mailbox was. I opened it and thankfully there was still mail in there so she will see it today. The envelope is addressed 'to the girl that changed my life for the best: Nicole Bethany Harding'. I know it was a bit cheesy but hey, so was the letter.

*Nicole's POV*

"Nicole, there's mail for you!" my mom called from downstairs.

"Coming!" I yelled Back. Darla and I were currently in my room watching Darla's favorite movie, Sleeping Beauty. Blu was rested at the end of my bed. I paused the movie and told Darla I'd be back. As I walked down the curved stairs I thought about who it could be. Probably Sam.

I walked in the kitchen and my mom and dad were seated at the table talking. "What'cha doin?" I asked them.

"Thinking about new food to add to the menu at the Club." my dad said. ((A/N: their country club))

I nodded. "Your mail's on the counter" my mom smiled. I walked over to the counter and saw an envelope titled 'to the girl that changed my life for the best: Nicole Bethany Harding'. Yup, Sam for sure. I exited the kitchen and sat on the steps. I tore open the letter and began reading.

Once I was done reading, it was safe to say I cried for the first time in a while. Whenever I'm sad I don't cry unless it's really bad. I just sit and stare, zoning out. But this letter definitely made me crack. I realized that Sam is just as broken as I was. Although I tell everyone I'm over Sam, I'm not. It's harder than it looks; getting over the only boy you've ever actually loved.

"Are you okay?" a voice said behind me. I recognized it as Darla.

I pulled her in my lap. "You know what Darla, not really, no. I'm not okay."

"Why not?" she asked as she played with the free pieces of my hair that were sticking out of my two braids.

"Just someone I loved. Well, someone I love wrote me a letter and I guess it made me realize how much I need that person in my life." I sniffled, smiling a toothless, fake, smile.

"Who?"

"Oh just an old friend. Not important."

"Ok. Can we go finish our movie??" she asked. I nodded and stood up with her in my arms and we went to my room.

I'll see you soon too, Sam.