thirteen

The sound of the doorbell ringing filled the house of the Murphy family

The sound of the doorbell ringing filled the house of the Murphy family. Barbara Murphy took off her oven mitts and ran to the door. When she opened the door, she was surprised to see someone that she didn't know standing there.

"Hi. Can I help you?" She asked the man. It was surprising that someone that she never met was at the door, because her and her husband know everyone in the neighborhood and would know if someone new moved in.

"Yes, is Brielle Murphy here?" The man asked, scratching the back of his neck while asking.

"Yeah, what's your name?" Barbara asked him, confused as to why he wanted to know if her daughter was home.

"Colby." He smiled. Barbara nodded and motioned for him to give her a minute. She closed the door and started smiling, knowing that he's Brielle's "husband", well ex-husband.

"Brielle! There's someone at the door for you!" She called up from the bottom of the steps. Brielle came running down the steps and opened the door. A smile spread on her face and she jumped into Colby's arms.

"What are you doing here? How'd you know my address?" Brielle asked as she released from the hug, a huge smile on her face the entire time.

"I had some time off from work and I just wanted to see you. Plus, I have comic con tomorrow, and someone promised that'd they'd go with me. You know, just see how you were doing. Oh and you texted it to me, don't you remember?" He smiled. "Can I come in?"

"Oh yeah, of course. I'm sorry, I've been so busy with moving and storing things away." She said, stepping aside to let him in. "This is my mom, Mrs. Murphy."

The two shook hands as they got introduced. "Please, call me Barbara." She smiled. "Oh Steve! Come here!"

Steven walked over to the front door and saw a man with his little girl and was shocked. "Um honey, who is this?" He asked his daughter.

"Dad, this is my friend, Colby. Colby, this is my dad, Mr. Murphy." Brielle said, biting her lip, scared of what her dads reaction would be.

"Nice to meet you son! Call me Steve. You look a little familiar. Are you from around here?" Steve asked as he pulled Colby in for a quick hug and then let go.

"Daddy, Colby is actually a WWE wrestler. Seth Rollins."

"Oh shit! I'm sorry, I don't have my glasses on, so you're kind of blurry, but wow. You're my favorite!" Steven said, making Colby laugh.

"Thank you. It means a lot." He said, with a big smile on his face.

"I was just finishing up dinner, would you like to stay and eat?" Barbara asked, making Brielle look and Colby and wait for his answer.

"I don't want to intrude."

"You're not intruding. Trust me. We would love to have you."

"Okay. I'll stay." Colby said while Brielle smiled at him.

"Why don't you show him around, Bri?" Steven said, making his daughter nod and start leading Colby around her house. "He likes her." Steven whispered to his wife as they walked to the kitchen.

"Well no duh! Isn't it obvious? You can tell she likes him too, she's just trying to play it cool." Barbara smiled while shaking her head. She knew everything about her daughter, even if her daughter didn't tell her.

"Would you like anything else, Colby?" Barbara asked Colby, who just shook his head

"Oh, no thank you. I'm so full. Everything was amazing." He said, getting up and helping Barbara with the dishes.

"Oh sweetie, you don't need to help. It takes me five seconds to do the dishes. Go sit down, I'll be right there." She said, making the man turn around, laughing and take his seat next to Brielle again.

"So, Colby, do you have a place to stay for your time here in Chicago?" Steven asked the man who was seated across from him.

"WWE booked me a hotel across town. It's near where I will be for comic con tomorrow." He explained to Brielle's dad.

"You have to drive all the way across town? It's ten thirty already! Why don't you just stay over here tonight?" Barbara said as she reentered the dining room.

"I can't. You guys already let me stay for dinner. I don't want to be a burden on anyone." Colby said as he shook his head.

"Stop being silly! We have a extra room you could sleep in. You wouldn't be bothering us. We'd love to have you!" Steven exclaimed, making the offer to the younger man.

"I don't know." Colby said, trailing off.

"You should stay. It'd be nice to spend some time together and catch up. Besides, you don't want to drive all the way there and back to get me in the morning." Brielle said. Colby looked at her and smiled, making her smile, before nodding. He couldn't say no to her for some reason.

"I'll stay. Thank goodness that I didn't check into the hotel and still have my bags with me." He chuckled. "Let me just go call my boss to inform them where I'll be."

Steven and Barbara watched as Colby got up and walked outside to take a phone call. They then looked at their daughter, eating a piece a bread and stared at her.

"What?" She asked, with a mouthful of bread.

"He stayed because you told him to. He stayed for dinner because you told him to. He likes you and you like him!" Her mom basically yelled to her daughter who sat there, acting clueless. Barbara stood up and stood behind her chair, banging on it, to get her point across.

"Mom, I don't like Colby. He doesn't like me either. We are just good friends. Nothing more. Nothing less." She shrugged, dipping her bread into cheese.

"Come on, kid. Even I can see that you like him, and I'm almost blind!" Her dad said. She just shook her head and rolled her eyes at her parents.

"I just got out of a relationship. With someone I was engaged to for years. Someone I loved with all of my heart. Do you guys not remember that part of the story?" Brielle asked, rhetorically as she sighed.

"Yeah, we remember. We just want to see you happy again and you look happy when you're with Colby." Barbara said as she sat down and held her daughters hands.

Brielle sighed and nodded, knowing that her parents wanted the best for her. To be honest, she didn't know how she felt about Colby. She literally just got out of a relationship and was still hurting. But, she knew that whenever she was with Colby, she was happy.

Even if Brielle did like Colby, she knew for a fact that he didn't like her back. He's surrounded by gorgeous women everyday. He is just being nice to her because they made a stupid mistake.