Open Your Eyes

Wirt had been laying, nearly dead, on the ground for what felt like days to him, but was less then hours in reality.

He laid almost lifelessly next to his own grave, running his twitching fingers mindlessly over the flowers Beatrice had left.

There was a note attached -or what he assumed was a note- But his vision was far too blurry to read it.

What does it say?
Will I ever know?

He closed his eyes tight as and speculated.
Perhaps "I miss you."
Perhaps "I've moved on"
Perhaps..."I love you"

No. Loved at best.

He opened his eyes and regarded the flowers in front of him. They were beautiful and...not blurry anymore. Wirt looked at his hands, the flowers and the cemetery scenery, his sight had returned! He could practically feel his strength returning to his body.

Slowly but surely he lifted himself off of the ground and stood up to his full height. (He had grown to nearly 6 foot when he combined forms with the Beast)

His bones were no longer brittle, or fragile.

How?

Who?

Why?

He pondered this for a while, always getting 2 out of 3 of the answers he needed.

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of shoes, clicking on pavement.

Has Bill come back for me?
Did he save me?

Wirt took a couple of steps toward the sound when an ear-shattering scream pierced the air.

Standing mere feet in front of him was a short, chubby girl with blonde hair and a Halloween-ish vibe.

"...W-What...are y...you?" She uttered, terrified, she tripped over her own feet and scooted as far back as she could get from Wirt.

He didn't know what to do. Nobody had seen him since he became The Lantern Bearer. So he turned and ran. He ran through the cemetery, heart pounding, and scampered over the wall, standing in the tree he glanced back at the girl, Frozen in fear... and for just a moment he felt like a monster.

He ran far away, lest she tell someone of him. He brashly threw himself into the lake, and climbed out into The Unknown. Still in shock.

He ran. She wouldn't follow him -he knew- but he still ran and ran deep into the forest as fast as he could, far off the beaten path, eventually he collapsed onto a nearby rock.

What a weakling.
No more graveyard visits.
Why didn't you kill the girl who saw us?
How dare you let yourself be made a fool by Bill Cipher in a child's body.
Pathetic.

These thoughts from The Beast swirled around his mind, until he realized something, that nearly made his heart stop.

I don't have the lantern.