Home (un)sweet Home

Bill wasn't entirely sure what to say when Finn told him about the mirror girl.

Once the boy started talking, he just kept going, as he explained and described the woman more and more Bill came upon the realization that this was not far from a regular person, and they should not be trusted.

But they did have ties to the Blue Widower. So Bill instructed
"Take the mirror, Finn. but don't talk to her unless I say you can."

Wirt's face formed into an even deeper scowl than its previous state
"Until you say we can?"

Of course, the obsessively dominant 'leader' was letting his pride get in the way, as usual. Bill had seen recently that he was in fact, a horrible leader. Overrun with emotions and selfish motives.

"I'm not sure if you've noticed but you don't have the best judgment." Bipper explained coolly, to which Wirt growled lowly and clenched his fists.

Wirt and Finn both reminded Bipper of dogs, in drastically different ways.

Finn was the loyal dog that whined when it was left alone and always needed a master.

Wirt was the kind of dog used in dog fights, aggressive and murderous, in need of someone to hold it back yet resentful towards that person.

Shame, Bill was never a dog person.

It was no surprise to him that though he pouted and mumbled Wirt didn't do anything. He was all bark and no bite.
He had nearly killed Bipper many times but if he was still breathing that meant it was all for show.

"Leave the mirror, Finn." Wirt ordered.

Finn looked as though he had been attacked, his two masters words contradicted and the poor boy had no will of his own.

"Don't listen to him." Bill argued with Wirt solely for the sake of arguing, he didn't care too much if Wirt got his way, he just had to be put in his place.

Finn clutched the mirror close to him and looked up at Bill and Wirt, expecting one to end the argument with a powerful statement. After glaring at each other for a while Wirt turned to Finn to plead with him.

"Y-You trust me, right Finn?" Wirt tried to smile but Bill could see in his face, in his stance, in his very aura, whatever soft side he had shown Finn was no longer in control.

Finn nodded the slightest bit, without saying anything. His eyes were wide as saucers and Bill knew he saw Wirt's darkness too.

Wirt really did make an attempt to put himself at ease again as Finn put the mirror down, but he couldn't. Once the Beast infused him with anger it was hard to let go, so he continued to scowl down upon his allies.

Bipper cleared his throat.
"Alright. Let's go."

"Where are we going?" Asked Finn softly.

"Away."

Bipper turned and began leading his group through the creaky house, searching for a way out. He wondered if they thought he knew what he was doing as he most certainly did not.

Eventually they came upon a door, boarded up and locked from the outside.

Bill grunted and pulled on the doorknob expectantly for the third time, when nothing happened he stepped back.
"Well. Guess we're trapped...who wants to share their deepest darkest fears?"

"Not especially. But thank you anyway."
Finn politely declined, Bill hadn't thought of it as a question you could just say no to, much less Finn.

"Even if I tried...it's pretty hard to narrow down." He added quietly.

Wirt's eyes remained fixed on the door, as if staring intensely would substitute a key.
Bill wanted to know Wirt's deepest fears and insecurities, that was the whole point of asking but he didn't want to interrupt his dramatic door-gazing. Wirt was known to go ballistic for tiny reasons and Bill had to quit while he was ahead.

Wirt grunted as he raised his hands in front of him, still very focused, eventually he dropped his hands to his side dejectedly and growled.
"I can't raise roots through this floor, we'll have to find a different exit."

Bill laughed,
"Are you kidding me? You didn't skip leg day- kick down the door!"

Wirt raised an eyebrow but didn't ask any questions. It was worth a shot.
He took a few steps back and deducted that if he was to break it it would need to be just below the doorknob and in between two boards.

If he failed he would look like a total fool in front of Bill and Finn, he didn't want that.

If he threw Bill into the door it probably wouldn't work, no matter how much Wirt liked that plan. And had it dawned on these two dimwits that it might not even lead outside?

Still, Wirt followed through. He took a few steps back and ran at the door. He managed to hit his foot exactly where he wanted to, but the door didn't fall down as he had hoped, Wirt was lucky enough to break through it and unlucky enough to be stuck.

Bill pointed his finger and laughed, he slapped his knee and pointed Wirt out to Finn as if the boy had somehow missed his embarrassing failure.

Finn stepped forward and offered a hand to help. As much as Wirt wanted to turn it down he accepted and pulled his lower leg out of the door.
He then reached his hand through the hole and turned the knob. He was able to open the door but unfortunately the wooden boards still covered much of the doorframe.

Wirt breathed in. He could see the outside, he could feel its air, and he could visualize roots of the tree in the yard.

He focused on where they should be and blocked out everything else. He raised his hand to help visualize and his other fist clenched, not long after a root broke through the ground and from there on out everything was easy in comparison.

Wirt was able to use the roots like a second, stronger hand, he tore off the boards with it and couldn't help but smirk when he saw Bill and Finn's impressed faces.

As he passed through the door Bipper gave him a firm pat on the back (it was more of a punch) and said
"That was pretty dang cool- I thought you didn't do that!"

"It's really tiring, if it wasn't I'd have no need to even move."

Bill chuckled a little at this and Wirt felt his anger at the boy evaporate.

Finn had already run ahead of the two, he turned around in some expression between excitement and fear
"We're out! C'mon guys!"

Wirt felt a newfound sense of warmness and accomplishment as he joined Finn and stared into a forest at the edge of the property, it looked much like his own.

Once Bill had skipped up to them as well, the trio stood together, ready to take on another challenge, this time together.

A/N *falls off chair* Thanks for getting this to 2k reads! Woohooo! I think what did it was StarPrin 's binge read, thanks!