A Long Night

Wirt didn't come back, Stanley couldn't find him. He probably went to Bill. I should've never trusted that malefactor.

These thoughts bounced around Finn's mind filling him with rage. Every time he felt like him and Wirt were on good terms it fell apart. And it wasn't always Wirt's fault, Finn had ruined many a good moment.

Get some sleep.
He repeated in his head.
Maybe Wirt just went to look at the stars from the forest or something.
Finn wanted this to be true but deep down he knew it wasn't.

Stan had been looking for Wirt for about an hour, eventually he came back and told Finn
"He'll come back when he feels like it."
Yeah. Sure.

If he didn't sleep maybe he could yell at and interrogate Wirt the second he stepped in. That would be worth losing an eternity of sleep.

Just go to sleep.
Finn pulled a thin blanket over him.
Stanford's room was a lot less shafty than the attic, it was still cold though, no wonder the man wore a turtleneck.

At one point he had thought it was him making it cold with his powers but without his crown...he couldn't do anything like that. He wasn't special.

So he laid there, unable to sleep, probably because he was trying so hard.

He forced his eyes closed but every time the floorboards would creak, or a gust of wind would whistle outside he flung off the sheets and ran towards the crown which -since Wirt's disappearance- sat on the other side of the room. It was almost as if it was taunting him.

You are nothing without me.
You need me.
I am what is keeping you alive.
I am a part of you.

Eventually Finn couldn't take it anymore and threw a pillow at the crown, knocking it over and causing it to roll across the floor...right to Finn.

He let out a frustrated growl and picked it up. He looked at the ruby in its centre and at his reflection. He looked exhausted and years older than he really was. Disgusted by this depiction of him and the crown in general he heaved it across the room into the wall, it fell to the floor again with a loud clank.

He heard the sound of footsteps, running towards his door. Just great.

"I'm fine!" Finn called before the person could even reach him. He didn't want to talk to anyone right now.

"Everything's..." he gritted his teeth and tried to sound cheery, or at least not so annoyed (To no avail).
"Just perfect!"

"Okay, well...if anything weird happens...just call." Ford reminded.

"Yes, Sir." Finn grumbled. Something about having to deal with Ford's paranoid safety checks made him so much more tired then he had been minutes ago.

When the man finally left, Finn let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding in.

Finn could tell this would be a long night.

And it was.

Finn could hear a clock ticking somewhere in the room and another in the hallway, their ticks didn't line up, which bothered him now much more than it usually would.

Everything was so quiet but so loud, sleeping was near impossible in such conditions.

He supposed it was because of The Lantern Bearer that he couldn't sleep, why was this delinquent stranger worrying him so much?

He hoped he'd never have to see that liar's face again but he also remembered being under the idiotic delusion  that they could be friends. Maybe there was still a chance.

He eventually fell asleep, it was a somewhat peaceful slumber but it was interrupted when he heard footsteps down the hallway.

He got up and strode sleepily over to the door. He was tired but he wanted to see Ford face to face when he told him to stop coming back. Why was he so paranoid all of the time?

"I appreciate you check...checking in but...but can you...not?" Finn Mumbled.

Suddenly his stomach churned as he realized this wasn't Stanford.

He tried to utter a sentence but he was a stuttering mess as he stared into the bright yellow eyes of a boy he wanted to forget.

He didn't know what he was feeling. Fear. Anger. Confusion. These were just three on the long list of horrible things he felt.

Finn stumbled back into his room, tripping over his crown and falling to the floor.
He scampered to put it on his head, he was going to fight Bill if he took another step in his direction but he couldn't when he noticed who tailed him.

Standing behind Bipper was Wirt; The Lantern Bearer. He looked as shocked to see Finn as Finn did seeing him.

It wasn't a good surprise. Finn may have wanted to see Wirt again but...not like this.

He felt as though he didn't know anything anymore, so he did the only thing he could, he ran. He pushed Bill out of the way and ran as if he was chasing him.

He threw as many things on the ground as he could as he whizzed down the corridors, up the stairs and into the attic, praying Ford would hear and come upstairs. He slammed the door closed and slid down it until he collided with the floor, Finn couldn't hear any footsteps from the floor below. He let out a shaky breath, trying to process what he had seen. He put his head in his hands and attempted to order his thoughts.

Why would Wirt lead Bill right to Finn and The Pines? He really is a monster. Finn supposed.

He really is a beast.