Dont Look Back

Now, Wirt and Finn sat in their respective seats, their hands tied with ribbons behind them to their chairs.

They had not tried to fight Mabel Pines. Because of the dangerous amount of kitchen knives at her disposal.

Wirt knew he could probably take her down. The reason he didn't was because he couldn't work fast, not with his powers at least. But Mabel could work very, very fast. He wasn't sure if there was substance behind his assumption that he was stronger.

Bipper however, was free to move as he wished, Mabel wouldn't wish harm upon her dear brother.

Why aren't you running, Cipher?!
Wirt wondered, if he was free he would have taken off, fast.

Mabel glared at Bipper expectantly.
"So? Was it worth it?"

"What?" Bipper asked.
The harshness of his annoyed tone made Wirt cringe.

If Bill continued like this even he wasn't safe.

"Leaving me for Ford." Mabel gritted her teeth.

"Ugh." Bill scoffed.
"You're such a killjoy -I'm not your brother! Do I have to spell it out for you?! Look into my eyes, Mad Hatter!" He pointed at his rather noticeable glowing yellow eyes.

Mabel stayed still and silent.
She looked at Bill and squinted slightly, leaning forward in her seat.
"He's in there somewhere. It's my job to find him and bring him back."

Her soft but unexpressive tone of voice scared Wirt.
The way it never quaked or hesitated.

Mabel spoke like she knew something that nobody else did, like she had common sense that the world around her lacked.

She was self righteous and careful. Maybe, if it were Wirt he would be able to outsmart her. But Bill's ego was far too big. He would get caught up in her cobweb long before he knew what was happening.

Bill wasn't smiling now, there was a frown on his face that served a portal to his emotions. All too easy to read.
"How're you gonna find your brother? What on Earth makes you think he'd want to see you now?"

Mabel violently struck the teacup in front of her with the back of her gloves hand. It rolled across the table at rapid speed and shattered onto the ground.
Her arm jolted towards Bill before slowly dropping back to her side.

She beamed after a moments hesitation.
"Oopsie! Can't kill my favourite person in the world on a Tuesday!"

Finn was quaking. The cup had shattered just next to his foot.

The look on his face...he seemed to be fighting himself...to do or not to do something...Wirt didn't know what that something was, but he had to buy Finn some time.

In the centre of the table was a vase of dead purple aconites.
Amidst all the tension and fear and anger at the table Wirt asked
"Where did you get aconites?"

"What are you a florist?!" Shrieked Bill, who was flat against the back of his chair, as if at any moment Mabel could throw another cup.

Mabel folded her hands over one another gracefully. She looked bored by the question.
"The Blue Widower gave them to me years ago. But that holds no value, I keep them because they're pretty."

Wirt shook his head and smiled to himself.
"What a coincidence. A night or so ago...I had a dream. I don't know if it was from the Blue Widower, from Bill Cipher, or even God Himself. But I was at a table just like this, having tea. And there were blooming purple aconites on the table."

Mabel raised an eyebrow.
"This is pointless information."

Wirt continued regardless.
"Aconites symbolize misanthropy- the hatred of human nature. But in the dream-"

Suddenly, just as he was about to finish, the tablecloth was torn from the table and thrown over Mabel. Cutlery and plates fell to the ground, along with cold tea.

Finn stood. He immediately rushed over and grabbed Wirt and began cutting his ribbon with the pieces of Mabel's broken teacup.

He gave Wirt a firm push out of the clearing and reached for Bill's hand.

Cipher stared vacantly into the distance, unmoving.

Finn tugged on his arm.
"Come on, Bill! Quick!"

Bill growled at him.
"Shut up!! I'm finally here with my sister! Dang it, boy, don't mess this up!"

Finn looked at his friend in confusion before dropping his arm and running off to join Wirt. He spared Bill a last glance, disgusted by the fact that he was leaving him.

Don't look back! He wanted this!

When he caught up to Wirt, Finn was huffing and puffing, which greatly contrasted the Beast who looked as if he had just been woken up from a nice nap.

"You look tired."
Commented Wirt.

Finn nodded.
"I am. What about you? Are you okay?"

Wirt put a hand to his temple.
"Physically I'm fine. But...the Beast..."
He trailed off. No point explaining when Finn couldn't understand anyway.

He had been resisting the Beast's direct demands as best he could for a few days now.
But the Beast still had a strong hold on him, making sure he kept his status, dignity and emotionlessness. The Beast fought for total control again more than he had in a long time.

Again, Finn asked
"Are you okay?"

Wirt closed his eyes for a long second.
When he opened them he said
"What do you want me to say? Whatever it is is a lie anyways."

Finn nodded.
"I guess you're right."

Wirt and Finn, walking together through a scary forest. It was just like old times. Not that those times were much better.

Well, it was better because Wirt was not the hunted.
Still, the pray he was hunter of was an innocent boy who didn't deserve that.

The moon shone down on the forest's trees, the sky was a much more monotone black than in Wirt's forest.

"I had the dream too. In that dark room." Finn confessed.

Wirt looked up from his feet.
"I guess it really did mean something." He mused.

"It was preparing us. For me, at least, when I saw something scary at the tea party I didn't do anything. And I died. This time, I knew I had to do something." Finn claimed.

"Amazing." Said Wirt. And he meant it.
"I think: God formed the dream, to warn us, Bill 'hacked' it as he does, and then, the Blue Widower hacked his mind, which hacked the dream again."

Finn seemed very impressed.
Wirt smiled smugly at this.

"And you believe in God?" Asked Finn.

The question caught Wirt off guard. He stopped walking.
"I did when I had my brother...but the Beast killed my mind, Finn...now, I think I do again..."

Wirt turned to face Finn and for once his swirly pastel eyes weren't so scary to the meek Ice Prince.
"I mean, things have been tough, but we always seem to make it out!"

Finn allowed himself to smile in spite of their circumstance.
"Yeah. I like that."

A/N I friendship them. Boom.