Cold Blooded

"Status of Bill? Iced. Iced Billshake." Finn whispered proudly, practicing what to say when he told Wirt and Ford about his triumph.

He shook his head.
"No, that's not good." He muttered.

He decided to play it by ear. Probably a bad choice.

He jumped up the last few stairs. they were pretty steep, it was certainly a mystery how Stanford could deal with them every day.

"Do you really trust him to tell you the truth?" Asked a gravelly voice a few rooms over. Finn couldn't tell if it was meant to be sarcastic or if that was just Ford's natural tone.

"Of course I don't!" Replied a double layered voice, it was a shout, but a quiet one.

"Don't be stupid!"
Ford yelled.

Finn was nearing the room they were in. It's door was gently closed and there was little light emitting from under it.

"You think you're sooo smart, don't you?!" Hissed Wirt in response. He clasped the doorknob so forcibly it was a surprise it didn't snap off when Wirt pulled the door open and slammed it closed behind him.

"Idiot!" Wirt yelled through it mockingly. He knew it was immature but it was the best he had.

"What was that all a-" Finn started, putting him hand on Wirt's arm for comfort.

Wirt nearly tore off Finn's arm and completely disregarded his question.
"Where's Bill?" He asked, his eyes burning with anger.

Finn contemplated whether the answer would be good or bad news to Wirt.
He'll find out sooner or later.

"He's..." Finn didn't want to pause halfway through his answer, it would seem unnatural. He said the first thing that came to mind.

"Downstairs..." Finn let out a breath, he felt like he was lying to Wirt but he wasn't! Finn was simply withholding the entire truth.

Finn went to open the door, if Wirt wouldn't tell him what happened maybe Ford would. About to twist open the door Wirt moved in front of Finn's path.

"You're coming too." He said.
Finn took a nervous step back and waved his hands in front of him begging to stay upstairs.

He started to utter an excuse but Wirt pulled him by the collar down the stairs. The whole time, Finn protested, saying anything to keep Wirt out.

"Where is-" Wirt started before noticing the chunk of ice on the floor and slowly turning to Finn.

His eyes reflected an unusual emotion...fear?
Then unmistakable anger.

"Finn?! You did this?!" He fumed, having trouble forming his words in such a rage.

"Yeah. I also froze over most of my country, having Bill gone is a favor." Finn hissed.

Wirt took a moment to fully process Finn's words.
He wanted to ask about Finn's country. Was Finn actually emotionally strong enough to do that?
Wirt shook his head, clearing the thoughts and focused on what was important here and now.

"Unfreeze him." He demanded.

Finn didn't seem as meek as Wirt once thought he was, he didn't even flinch when Wirt yelled at him.

"He shouldn't be here. I don't understand why you brought him."

"Let him out! There's a monster coming! He knows at least a bit of information about it! We have nothing!" Wirt explained. His talking sped up as his anxiety grew. He pushed Finn, causing him to stumble back a few steps, he stood confidently however and continued to argue his point.

"Did Bill tell you that? You can't trust him."

"You're just like Stanford! He was telling the truth I just know it! And if you don't believe me you're going to die, Finn!" Wirt shouted. What felt like hundreds of emotions crossed his face in mere seconds.

Wirt turned away and crouched next to Bipper's frozen body. He tried to punch through the glassy surface but it was no use. He kept trying anyways. Over and over again.

It barely had an affect, other than the occasional time a small chip would break off. Wirt hurled his fist into the block of ice until there was dark red liquid trickling down it's cold surface. His knuckles were beginning to bleed.

If the Blue Widower took his soul, Greg's would practically come with it. Wirt couldn't accept that.

He let out a yell as he threw another punch at the rock hard ice, coloring it more every time his fist and the surface collided.

The thick wine-like fluid clouded his vision of Bill's arm and shoulder, it swirled and blossomed deep red in color, but Wirt could see Bill's face clearly, He looked scared.

"What is your problem, Finn?" Wirt growled, glowering back at the boy for the first time in a while.

Finn cracked a smile.