Apology Gift

A/N this chapter is a Ford flashback! And also my first chapter so far in full first person so...yeah!

I wrapped the bandage around my wrist and turned my hand to see if it was too tight. I adjusted it slightly and ran through my mental to-do list, The next thing I had to do was talk to Mabel.

The door was closed, it had been for hours, Mabel had shut it so that she wouldn't have to hear me and Stan fighting over what to do next or Stan scolding me for coming home bruised and scratched. Hey, at least I tried to bargain with Bill.

I knocked lightly on the door.
I knew it'd be hard to explain to her my fears of losing Dipper forever, and the dangers of fighting Bill. But I was ready. The knocked echoed for a moment before she noticed.

"Dipper?" She asked hopefully, I heard her feet rush across the room and stop before reaching the door. Mabel beamed up at me but when she opened her eyes her smile dissipated.

"...Great Uncle Ford?
Where's...where's Dipper?"
I bit my lip trying to break it to her easily. I told her I could get Bill out of Dipper, but Bill wasn't interested.

He can live in Dipper's body much more comfortably then mine or most others. He's young, energetic and nearly invincible. The perfect vessel. Of course Bill wouldn't leave.

"It didn't work. I couldn't get Bill out." I explained. Her face fell.

"But you will." She said it like it was question, it was uncertain and pained.

"I hope so."

She stifled a bitter laugh at this.
"No, you don't." She muttered under her breath.

I paused and turned to look her in the eyes, she was looking away. My father would probably hit me if I said that, or at least Stanley. I wouldn't hurt her though, to the surprise of even myself I wasn't angry just...shocked.

"Of course I care!" I managed to stutter. How could she believe I didn't care about Mason?

"But you don't care for the right reasons! You don't care about Dipper! You only care about-"

She sniffled and wiped away tears that were on her face with her sweater sleeve. She inhaled shakily before speaking.

"You only care about Bill."

I stood in silence for a moment, I was hard to get words out after her comment but eventually they came
"Mabel...Sweetie, you're paranoid and it's making you...delusional." She looked at me with distrustful, hateful, eyes.

I decided the best way to respond was not at all.

"Come on, dinner's ready." I put my arm around her shoulder and she forcefully pushed me away.

"I'm not going anywhere with you!"

"Mabel, please." I reached out my arm again but just as before she pushed me.

I leaned in to be closer to her eye level, I spoke to her calmly
"I hate Bill as much as you do!I promise! You need to come eat, you haven't left your room for two days!" I've felt like she does, scared, unsafe and alone, she needs to trust that I know best.