9. Halloween-Town

Riley knocked incessantly on the door, worry coursing through her veins.

"Riley?" Stefan asked in surprise, opening the door. "What are you doing here?"

"Where's Caroline?" Riley demanded, brushing past him and walking right into the house. Thinking that Caroline was in danger removed all of Riley's fears about the vampires living in her new town.

"Why would she be here?" Stefan's face took on a look of complete confusion. After she found out the truth, the last place he expected to see her was on his doorstep.

Riley took her phone out of her pocket and read aloud the last message she'd received.

"'Fletch, boarding house now! Caroline in danger.' I don't know how your brother got my number, but if he's done something to Caroline I'll kill him myself."

She slowed down, not receiving any sense of urgency from Stefan. Rolling her eyes, she read the message again.

"He's lying, isn't he?"

Stefan nodded, a small smile on his face. He admired the loyalty that Riley had. She was willing to walk into the house of two vampires just because she thought Caroline was in trouble, not thinking about what they could do to her.

Riley turned towards the huge house. "Damon! Where are you, you asshole?!" As scared as she was of vampires, she was no longer scared of the brothers. For some reason, she knew that neither of them would hurt her. If they wanted to, she'd already be dead.

She walked into a room to find Damon sitting casually, reading a newspaper, with a girl that she didn't recognize.

"Took you long enough!" he said, not looking at her.

"What the hell do you want?" she asked, rolling her eyes. "Because I have enough to worry about without you summoning me out of the blue."

"There's nothing about that Logan guy I killed in here," Damon said, gesturing to the newspaper. "Who's covering it up?"

Riley shook her head in disbelief. "That's what you called me over here for?" she asked. "You're upset that people aren't talking about the murder you committed?"

"He was a news anchor, a minor Mystic Falls celebrity. If someone's covering it up, I want to know why. So call up 'daddy dearest' and ask him what happened to the body."

Riley looked incredulously at Stefan. "Is he serious?"

Stefan shrugged. "I think that's Damon's way of politely asking if your dad and his colleagues know about us. Logan was using wooden bullets, he knew."

Riley shrugged her shoulders, a slightly amused look mixing with her already angry features. "Well, my dad knows nothing. And right now, that's all I care about. So if that's all you want, I'm going to school." She turned to leave the room, before something occurred to her. She turned to the unknown girl. "Vicki Donovan, right?"

"Do I know you?" Vicki asked, a look of disdain on her face. Although she'd heard so much about this girl, the only time Riley had actually seen her had been when she was unconscious.

"No, you don't," Riley said with a small wave to Stefan before leaving. "Let's keep it that way."

***

It seemed like there was a party every week in Mystic Falls. This week, it was the Halloween Carnival.

Riley was dressed as Wonder Woman. It was the shortest, most overused costume ever, but she got to carry a (fake) sword and pretend to be a superhero, so it was worth it. She walked into her high school to see Caroline and Bonnie dressed as witches.