Chapter 20

Tris POV
I am floating in and out of consciousness and once in a while I see a glimpse of Tobias in the bed next to me. Everything hurts. This is worse than having the twins. Once I finally wake up I see that he's been fine for a while. What ever hit us came on my side. The doctor told me that I have some broken ribs and a slight concussion. Tobias hasn't left my bed side since he got better. He only had a concussion and broke his right arm trying to protect me. He tells me what's going on at school and that everyone hopes I get better and that he's sorry. I don't know why because it's not his fault. I still don't know what cut in front of us. I can't ask because I lost my voice during the accident. The doctor says it's from the trauma. Today the doctor upped my meds saying that it's was for surgery later on. They're checking to see if there's any internal damage. They out me under and I don't wake up for hours.
When I wake Tobias is right next to me still. I smiles slightly at him but he's not smiling back. What's wrong? I want to ask him so badly. I try to but my voice croaks and he tells me to be quiet. I finally manage to croak out, "What's wrong?" In a really hoarse voice. He shakes his head and tears up. "Tobias?" I ask my voice is getting worse. He kisses my forehead and says, "The doctor says that one of your broken ribs.... Might have punctured your lung.... You might not survive, Tris... And he said if you do you'll most likely need an oxygen tank..." I freeze. I need to stay alive. I'm fine right now, what is he talking about? "What? What do you mean?" I ask, my voice is sounding better, more normal. He takes my hand, "You might die, Tris." I shake my head, "I'm not going to leave you, Tobias, besides I feel fine right now. My lungs don't hurt." He studies my face, probably looking for signs of me lying to him. But I'm not. He nods slightly, "You really don't feel anything?" I nod, "It's probably my meds though. I felt fine before that though. Just a little sore. By the way, how'd your arm?" He shrugs, "Could be better... Could be worse... I'm just worried about you." I blush slightly and suddenly feel sick to my stomach, almost like when I was pregnant... I sit up and wail in pain and throw up over the side of the bed, barely missing Tobias' feet. He holds my hair back with one hand, obviously because he can't use the other one, and helps me stay in a sitting position. I still feel fine, the meds have worn off because everything hurts... Except my lungs, they feels completely fine. I scoot over slightly in my bed and pat the spot next to me and motion for Tobias to sit next to me. He gladly accepts the offer and sits with me until a doctor comes in to see me.
He wears a white lab coat with a multi-color, comical children's shirt underneath it. He smiles, "How are you doing today, Ms. Prior?" He asks. I shrug, "I've been better, and I've been worse. My lungs feel fine though. Everything else hurts." He nods, "Well, apparently the scan that our team of surgeons took was wrong because your lungs are fine and untouched by your ribs." I sigh with relief. He continues, "But, there might be other problems we have to address, you might have broken a leg or an arm... Our X-ray and scanning team have been quite awful for the last few months... It's a wonder how they found Four's broken arm..." He seems angry, "So, we'll need to continue keeping you here for a while. While we send your scans and X-rays to a better developed team in a bigger city." I nod even though I understand absolutely nothing of what he is saying. He gives me my meds and leaves.
I turn to Tobias, "You and I both know that neither of my arms are broken and neither of my legs are. I could tell them that." He nods and smiles slightly, "Yeah. They'd be swollen and probably be sticking out in odd places." I laugh slightly, causing a wave of pain to go through me, "Yeah... So where are the twins?" I ask. "Still with your mom. She said she'd take care of them until we're better." He says. I nod and attempt to lean into him but he winces in pain and I pull away. I end up laying in his lap with him stroking my hair with his good hand and smiling at me. Eventually I fall asleep like this. Just waiting until I can go home.