Chapter Eleven

Ellie's POV

The night before classes began at UA, Toshinori convinced me to leave the apartment for a date. I'd tried, and failed, to protest as I didn't like to go out in public and risk someone recognizing him in his weakened form and knowing me from my days as a criminal. He'd somehow convinced me nothing was going to happen, no one would recognize me and managed to get me to dress up for the occasion.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror with a frown as my gaze fell on the royal blue dress hanging off my delicate frame. I hated wearing dresses but had to admit it was pretty, I liked the color and it was flowy and comfortable. The bright blue of the dress brought out the blue in my eyes and the faint blue tint to my raven hair. Though I didn't really like to do such girly things, I'd attempted to put on make up and fix my hair, but my hair was impossible and didn't like to stay up so I left it down.

As I stepped out of the bathroom I spotted Toshinori in his weakened form wearing a baggy black suit with a bright blue tie. He looked over at me and his face lit up causing my cheeks to redden.

"Don't say anything." I grumbled bitterly under my breath as I tried to hide my embarrassment. "I don't like dresses."

"You look beautiful." He smiled as he crossed the room and wrapped me in his arms before I could scurry away in a flustered scramble.

"Are you sure you don't want to say home instead? I can coo-." I cut off with a squeak as he bent down and captured my lips in a sweet kiss.

"We're going out." He smiled as he placed a warm white sweater over my shoulders to keep me from getting chilled.

"You're lucky I can't say no to you." I grumbled under my breath as I let him steer me toward the door. We paused at the door so I could slip on a pair of white flats as I refused to wear heels even if they'd make me taller and less childlike.

We made our way hand in hand deeper into the city. Toshinori didn't seem the slightest bit concerned that people would recognize him in his weakened state and walked about with ease. I was less at ease, my eyes constantly darting around noting all the people around us monitoring their actions picking up on bits and pieces of their conversations. He noticed the tension in my shoulders and the stiff way I was walking as I surveyed our surroundings.

"It's okay." He attempted to reassure me and lightly squeezed my hand in his.

I tried to relax but it was difficult. Whenever we went out in public I was terrified someone would recognize either one of us and link me to my criminal past and tarnish Toshinori's reputation. I was a constant risk to him. He'd proposed to me three times, I refused him the first two times and the third time I gave in to selfishness and said yes knowing it would be bad for him, knowing I'd drag him down with me. Even now there were days where I felt like I was nothing more than a hindrance to him.

"Ellie?" Toshinori squeezed my hand drawing me from my darkening thoughts.

"I'm sorry." I bowed my head feeling the sudden need to flee as the sidewalk began to get more crowded.

Toshinori released my hand and I was overcome with a fleeting sense of sheer terror and panic before I felt his hands grip my waist. I let out a squeak as he lifted me off my feet and placed me on his right shoulder keeping his right arm wrapped around my legs to keep me in place. He was able to maneuver through the crowded sidewalk with ease now that he didn't have to worry about losing me in the crowd due to my petite size.