Chapter Twenty

Ellie's POV

My stomach churned unpleasantly as I stared at the matchups on the board for the final event. Shinso and Midoriya were facing off, first. I got to my feet. Toshinori looked at me curiously from his seat and reached for me, "Ellie?"

I ducked away from him, "Sorry, Toshi-chan, I can't root for Midoriya with you." My gaze was drawn to the screen as I saw Shinso walking onto the field. He reminded me of myself a little, in my younger days when everyone always got the wrong idea about me, never gave me a chance. Because of his quirk people automatically assumed he was in line to be a villain or would be a terrible person. People rarely gave him a chance. He needed someone, like I had needed someone...someone to be his unwavering support, to cheer him on from the sidelines.

"Huh?" Toshinori followed my gaze as a gentle breeze rushed through the stadium toward Shinso ruffling his unruly indigo hair.

Shinso's dark eyes swept upward locking on me in an instant as the wind swept around him. He cracked a smile as I tried mirroring one of Toshinori's supportive poses he often gave to Midoriya and gave him a dramatic thumbs up for good luck. I heard people chuckling around me.

"Ellie, what are you doing?" Toshinori cracked.

"Cheering on my student...you do this to Midoriya... Is that not right?" I grew flustered and flopped back onto the bench, "Why is it so funny?!" I snarled at the laughing staff members around us.

"Ellie's too cute for her own good." Snipe chuckled but cut off as he went flying across the Stadium and the laughter around me died in an instant.

"What did I do wrong?" I frowned at Toshinori who was still struggling for composure.

"Nothing, it was great, it's just a little uncharacteristic." He chuckled.

"Ugh! I'm moving closer." I grumbled and got up from the bench to go cheer my student on from the sidelines. I went to the tunnel Shinso had exited out of to watch and wait for the match to be over. As much as I liked Midoriya and wanted him to do well for his sake and Toshinori's, Shinso needed me. Midoriya had enough support at the moment. His classmates were cheering him on but I couldn't hear any of my other students cheering for Shinso.

As the match started I noticed Toshinori standing in the opposite tunnel in his muscular form. I didn't like feeling like we were standing on opposite sides even if it was over something as trivial as a Sports Festival. It made me feel sick with myself, like I was turning my back on him.

Shinso started off provoking Midoriya to attack already gauging the easiest way was to insult one of his fellow classmates causing him to slip up and respond. I couldn't help but smile, Shinso was crafty enough to be a villain, that was why he'd make a great hero one day. For his skill set, it paid off for him to be able to think and possibly even act like a villain, it would be a valuable tool for him when he eventually became a hero.

Midoriya, caught in Shinso's quirk, walked toward the edge of the ring in a daze. As he neared the edge, something in him snapped and I noticed him activate his quirk, breaking his fingers in the process and frowned as concern wormed through me. I didn't like that he still didn't have a good grasp on One for All. It was too risky for him, he was going to destroy his body. He rushed Shinso who I'd noticed had slightly lost sight of the fight lost in his own jealousy and misgivings at the quirk he'd been born with.

Midoriya refused to answer his taunts now and tried to shove Shinso from the ring. Shinso punched him in the face but that only seemed to drive Midoriya more. 'use your opponent's weakness against them, idiot.' I thought from the sidelines. His opponent had injured his hand, it was a good place to strike, he was already weak there.