Chapter 1

Tori

Vigorously tapping my pencil against the school desk, I find myself growing more and more impatient by the minute. The sound of my pencil tapping would be considered loud if we were in a silent room, but that's not the case, the room is not silent: it's incredibly, excruciatingly loud. The sounds of over dramatic gasps and chitter-chatter crowd the atmosphere as these people gossip about what's just happened, instead of focusing on their work - the classic work ethic here. I press my finger against my temple and begin rubbing it, attempting to soothe this throbbing headache which seems to be increasing with every word I hear come out of their illiterate mouths. God, this is painful.

Once again, I attempt to drown out the sound around me. From the left of me, to the right of me, all the way to behind me are conversations about other people's lives that I don't really want to be listening to; sex, drugs, hookups, fights. I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about STI diagnoses yet. This school has damaged, no, destroyed my perception of people, and the only two people I'm close to are Corbyn Besson and Jack Avery. In regards to the other human beings in this place, the most I've probably interacted with them is when we're paired up in class, and I do all the work but they take half the credit. No one really takes notice of me - I blend into the background and I have to admit, I like it that way.

"Okay, class!" Mr Mathers shouts, loudly clapping his hands together to address the whole room. I swiftly look up from my Literature book. He runs a hand through his thinning hair - a mixture of dark brown and grey - before he releases a wearied sigh, one I'm familiar with. "Can we all sit down and calm ourselves, please? The current situation is being dealt with."

Oh, and the current situation is that him, being his drama-queen-self, made a scene because he didn't get to sit where he wanted. Then he swore a couple times, got told he had a detention after school tonight, and stormed out of the class with a scowl on his face. Yes, extra, I know. I didn't get all of this information myself, I was too busy doodling in my notebook at the time, so I opened my ears and actually listened to one of the gossips at the back of the classroom. Not that I cared, just curious as to why the teacher hasn't come back yet.

Thank God he's here now.

"A perfect example of how to act is Miss Stanford sat right here at the front." Mr Mathers gestures in my direction as he approaches me, and I instantly find my body shifting uncomfortably. "Always hardworking and doesn't let stupid teen drama distract her. Isn't that right, Tori?" he raises a brow, standing directly in front of my desk as he points at me, a small smile coating his lips.

No, no, no. Not attention. Abort. Abort. Instantly, I feel the heat creeping up my cheeks, and they're probably already crimson red by now. Nice one, Mr Mathers. I love you and everything, but why do you have to do this to me?

"Tori?" He raises his untidy brow higher. "I said, isn't that right?" Mr M. repeats, leaning down to meet my eyes. The bastard knows I despise attention.

"Yes, Mr Mathers." I mutter, my embarrassment evident, before he smiles with a nod of his head and walks away. I hear a series of snickers and giggles in the background - common immaturity - but I only fold my arms and roll my eyes. Get a fucking grip, you stupid people.

"Sir, Mr Seavey is prepared to return to class now." A voice intrudes, causing me to turn my attention toward the classroom door. One of the superior teachers stand there, his hand on Daniel's shoulder. "He will work hard, keep his head down and not cause any further trouble. Is that okay?" Patently, I can tell Daniel doesn't like the contact by the way he stiffens under his touch, jaw clenched in undeniable agitation.

Of course this would happen. First period, on the first day back after summer break, and people are already causing drama. How unorthodox. As soon as I opened my eyes this morning, my mind was strongly set on letting this be a good, easy and productive day back. But without surprise, the one and only 'alpha-male' would ruin that for me. I feel sick even calling him that, it's pathetic.