Chapter 15

Tori

After an amazing hour spent together, strolling around, simply talking about life, we decide to take a break and sit on a bench. The sky is dark, the place is quiet, only the streetlights illuminating the scene.

"Are you alright to stay here for a few minutes while I just head to the toilet?" Jonah asks, standing up from the bench.

"I told you that you shouldn't have gulped down that bottle of water in like... three seconds," I laugh.

"Hey, you didn't believe me. I had to prove my greatest talents."

"That's your greatest talent? Wow, you must really hate yourself." I say teasingly.

"Thanks, Tori. That comment is going to keep me awake at night. I hope you feel really good about yourself." he jokes, chuckling softly, before turning away and beginning to walk off in the direction of the toilets.

As he leaves, I'm left alone with my thoughts, thoughts about Jonah, a large smile on my face.

Part of me thinks that I like him. More than a friend.

But the other part tells me that I don't. That I'm just kidding myself.

But I think that the second part is only in denial. Mainly for the reason that I'm still most likely only a friend to him. And I will not let someone know that I like them if I'm not sure that the feeling's mutual; there's a massive risk that I could make a fool out of myself.

Suddenly, I feel a presence hovering behind me. Wow. That's incredibly immature of you, Jonah. Trying to scare people at your age?

I smile. "Jonah, I know you're ther--"

And then I'm cut off, a cloth of some sort being aggressively thrown over my mouth and nose, soon enough sending me into darkness.

Daniel

Stepping into my exceptionally large house, I carelessly throw my backpack on the floor, kicking my shoes off as I leave them stranded by the door.

"Daniel, how many times do I have to tell you?" Laurie says, beginning to pick up my shoes and placing them neatly on the shoe rack. "Please don't leave your shoes lying around."

Instantly, I roll my eyes, throwing my body onto the exceptionally large couch. Everything in this house is exceptionally large. That's what money does for you.

"How was your day, hunny?" She asks, taking a seat besides me. I hate pet names like 'hunny', but she's gotten so used to calling me it, I don't want to shoot her down.

"Usual," I shrug.

But it's not usual, not now that I have no one at all. Not now that she hates me.

"I never know what you mean by that, Daniel." Her eyebrows crease together. "You always come home late. Why's that?"

Oh, I just take five hour strolls by myself because I have no one.

"I like my alone time." I simply answer.

"Well, you're always in such a bitter mood, but whenever I ask, you never tell me what's happened."

"Because I don't want to." I respond flatly, avoiding her gaze.

"Daniel, please. You always act like this. You're always so closed off."

"Laurie, don't. You know how much I hate prying. We've been through this."

"I know. But when are you going to start--"

I don't even need her to finish that sentence; I know what she's going to ask.

"I can't." I interrupt bluntly.