Tiny Feet

Dan and Phil were rushing to the hospital after they got a text saying, "Amy's in the hospital." They ran inside the building and asked the front office where Amy's room would be. "Upstairs and to the left. Room 376. But you two need to check in first."

Dan huffed. "Please, we need to get in now!"

"You Can get in after you sign in."

"Look, that's our surrogate mother and we need to see this damn birth!" Dan started to lose his temper.

"Dan, it's okay. We're just gonna sign in right quick and run up there. The birth isn't going to last 2 seconds." Phil comforted, rubbing circles in his back. Dan nodded as they signed in and got their wristbands.

"I'm sorry ma'am, just nervous." Dan apologized and held out his hand.

"I understand," The woman smiled and shook it. "Good luck you two."

They smiled back and jogged to the room. They didn't want to miss any second of it, although that seemed to already of happened. As they approached the room, they heard grunted and moans of pain. They opened the door only to reveal a doctor putting her hand out, like a stop sign. "Family only."

Dan rolled his eyes and looked at Phil. "We're the father, she's our surrogate." Phil said, trying to keep his calm. The doctor mumbled something under her breath and opened the door, letting them in. Dan and Phil rushed to either of Amy's sides, holding her hands. "Hey, we're finally here." Phil said quietly, but letting out a little empathy laugh. Amy looked at him and tried to smile but then winced in immense pain.

"Break my hand if you need to." Dan smiled.

She nodded and squeezed, no doubt. The three got very close over Amy's pregnancy. She was a lively girl, who loved everyone. They became good friends that hung out almost every weekend. She was technically the babies mother, anyway.

The process of labor went on for 6 hours. 6 hours of hand holding, back rubbing, and constant saying of sympathy and reassurance. Then finally, at 11:07 pm, little Eva was born. She was beautiful. She had a thick head of hair, that was a light auburn color. Her skin was porcelain, and she weighed 7.5 pounds. Dan was the first to hold her, and he smiled brightly and looked down at the little miracle. "She's so beautiful." He sat down, stroking her hair gently. Phil sat next to Dan, laying his head on his shoulder.

"Dan, look at how tiny her hands are!" Phil smiled softly and kissed the top of Eva's head. "Thank you Amy, so much." He got up to hug her. She smiled and hugged him back, weakly. "You okay?" Phil asked.

"Yeah, just tiring to push out a baby for 6 hours." She chuckled and leaned back in her hospital bed.

The nurse took the baby to make sure everything was normal and such. She was perfectly healthy. The nurse smiled and handed it to Phil. "She's ready to go home."

Phil held her as if she was a 1000 year old antique vase. He couldn't help but smile down at the little human in his arms. "We'll still hang out, Amy. Don't think you're free now that you've had Eva." He laughed and she did too.

"I'm okay with that."

The couple carried out their baby lovingly. "She's so beautiful." Dan said again.

Phil stopped walking and looked down again. "Yeah, she's a pretty one. She'll be the most attractive out of us." Phil joked and kissed Dans cheek.

They got to the car and buckled Eva into her seat. "Dan, Can you sir in the back with her?"

"Of course!" Dan almost jumped into the back. The baby was asleep by the time they got home. Dan carried her in and placed her into her cradle. "I love her."

Phil smiled and hugged Dans waist from behind. "Me too." Phil kissed Dans shoulder. "She's ours, Dan."

Dan leaned his head on top of Phils and nodded. "Yeah. I'm going to stay in here for a bit."

"Okay, come to bed soon though." Phil said.

Dan hummed and sat down next to the baby crib. He started to slowly stroke her hair again, and started to sing. "La la lu, La la lu. Oh, my little star sweeper..." Dan didn't realize Phil was still standing in the doorway, smiling uncontrollably. "I'll sweep the stardust for you. La la lu, la la lu, little soft fluffy sleeper. Here comes a pink cloud for you. La la lu, la la lu, little wandering angel. Fold up your wings, close your eyes. La la lu, La la lu, and may love be your keeper. La la lu... la la lu." Dan stopped the song and kissed her forehead. "I love you, little Eva."

Phil had retreated to his bedroom by now, but only with the thoughts of Dan being the best father to ever had lived. He felt Dan lay down next to him. "Goodnight Bear." Phil said, muffled from the pillow.

"Goodnight. I love you." Dan wrapped an arm around Phil.

"I love you, too."