Chapter one (rewrite)

The heat of the African sun blasted down upon the earth, the animals, and the back of one young lion. Kion trudged through the long grass, his small fleet falling in pursuit. The team had just finished assisting a Rhino and a Tick bird resolve a little issue, and they were finishing up the rest of their Patrol before nightfall.

They spent a few hours combing through the southern half of the lands, and along the Lesser Desert border. Afterwards, they began their trek back to the lair.

"Guard, we did good today. Everybody can go home now." Kion spoke as he turned around to face the team, just at the lair's entrance just behind him.

"I think I'll hang around the lair for a little bit, Kion. Timon and Pumba are having another one of their 'dates' and I do not want to walk into that again." Bunga said as he walked past Kion and into the lair, yawning.

Fuli chuckled, "yeah, and I think I'll stick around too, at least until I'm hungry. Then I'll go out on a hunt."

"Okay, and what about you Ono? Beshte?" Kion asked, looking at both of them.

Beshte thought for a moment, "I... better get back to the mud wallow. My pops'll get worried if I'm gone too long."

"Yeah, and my flock will get worried too. And, to be perfectly honest, I think they'll be making me flock leader soon. They all just really look up to me." Ono replied, subconsciously puffing his chest out a little.

"Alrighty. I'll see you guys tomorrow morning then." Kion nodded to them, and they nodded back, before they both went their separate ways.

"Kion!" Kion instantly turned around as he heard the booming, authoritative, voice of his father, "I need to talk to you." He flicked his tail in an obvious gesture to join him.

"Hey, I'll be back in a minute!" The young lion called into the lair. He then preceded to scale pride rock and met his father at the top, "What can I do for you?" He asked, with an oblivious smirk.

"come inside." Simba spoke in a soft, overly caring voice. Kion followed suit, "Kion, We have made a decision about a very important deal." Simba padded further into the cave, finally revealing a large sum of his denmates; His mother and sister were there, alongside Tiffu and her mother, Kujali, and her father, Baba.

Baba is a male lion that had been accepted into the pride awhile back, when Simba had discovered him on the brink of death on the border. The smaller lion had joined the pride and proved his loyalty time and time again before finally mating with Kujali, and giving birth to Tiffu.

"son," Simba breathed, "We have decided to betroth you and Tiffu."

Kion's smile faded and was replaced by a gapping jaw. He closed his jaw and turned to where Tiffu was standing a few paces away.

By the way she was staring at him, jaw dropped and eyes wide, Kion knew this was a shocker for her as well, "You're kidding right? Why do you make that decision for me?" Kion began raising his voice as he turned back to his father, "Do you think I liked Tiffu like that? Yes, of course, she a friends, but I can't even imagine her in that way!"

"Kion kion kion... You must understand that this is what's best. You will mate with Tiffu, and you, my only son, will take place as king."

"Wait! I thought Kiara was gonna be queen!" Kion retorted.

"She was, Kion. But then that meant you would have to take her as you mate, and when she decided against that, she agreed to hand her crown over to you and your next mate."

"Well, you know what? I don't want to be king, and I don't want Tiffu as my mate!" Kion turned and padded out of the cave at a slower pace.

The young lion made his way to the lair, but as he entered, he felt a force hit into him from the side. He tumbled around for a little bit with the mysterious animal, before Kion was finally pinned to the ground.

Kion panicked before he realized that the animal that hit him had the same spotted pelt as one of his best friends, "Fuuuuliiii" Kion exclaimed as he playful tried to shove her off, "You scared me!" Kion let out a chuckled.

"That was the goal." Fuli whispered manically before hopping off him, "So, what was all that about?" The cheetah asked as Kion pulled himself to his paws.

Bunga then walked up from where he was sitting by the edge of the watering hole, "Yeah, that took a long time." Bunga spoke.

"Oh, well, um... How do I say this? My dad.. he randomly just decided to betroth me and Tiffu." He spoke nervously, shuffling one of his forepaws.

Bunga and Fuli's eyes widened and their jaws dropped, "Yeah... that's exactly how I reacted." Kion said to them.

Fuli shook her head, "Kion... are you okay?" She asked in a sweet, caring, voice.

"I'll be fine once we get all this sorted out. But until then, you guys should get home. The sun is beginning to set." Kion spoke as he turned to where the sun was beginning to dip below the horizon, bathing all the pride lands in a bright orange.

"Yeah, you're right. Timon and Pumba should be done by now." Bunga commented as he headed out the exit, "I'll see you tomorrow, and maybe by then this mess 'll be sorted through." Bunga shot some 'good-bye finger guns' at Kion before he turned and headed home.

"I think I'll stay the night in the lair tonight." Fuli said, "It's supposed to get chili tonight, and the lair is much warmer than my den." Fuli turned and padded up to her favorite rock before she lept on top of it and curled up.

"Very well, sleep well." Kion said, in a soft, caring voice.

"I will. Goodnight, Kion." Fuli replied with a soft gaze in Kion's direction. She laid her head down and closed her eyes.