3

3. Lost Turns Into Gain

Dave East

It was happening all over again. The people I cared about were being taken away from me. I thought I would be done with this shit but it's not happening. Now I was the last kid from the Brewster family and I gotta do everything I can to try and keep my family's legacy.

Today was Alex, Anja, and Johnnie's funeral. So I invited my friends and Uncle along with a little bit more people from the hood over to the house, so we can all mourn. I didn't know how or what to feel right now, but I knew one thing for sure was that I needed to keep everyone safe. I put on a black buttoned down shirt, some black jeans, and a pair of black shoes before going downstairs to find everyone waiting for me. Uncle was one of the first people to approach me and he and I just shared a hug.

"Thanks for coming Unc." I said.

"No problem nephew. We family and family gotta take care of family." Uncle said.

I nodded in agreement.

"But um, because now is not the right time. I want to speak to you about something later on." Uncle said.

"You got it." I said.

I looked up at Nasir and he pulled me into a hug too. I knew it hit him like me because Alex was like a brother to him and Anja was a daughter that he would want.

"I'm so sorry about Alex and Anja." Nasir said. "If there's anything you need, you just let me know bro. I got your back no matter what."

"I know. Thanks man." I said.

I walked off into the kitchen to grab me a drink and to my surprise Veronica was there. She was looking really beautiful and I just got hard as a rock just from looking at her. The crazy thing about this was that she was the only person I actually wanted to talk to but I've messed up everything we had, I wouldn't blame her for not wanting to speak to ever again. I just hope she gives ya boy another chance.

Roni Quinn

Lottie told me the news about Alex, Anja, and Johnnie. My heart broke when she told me that Anja died because she was only a little girl and she didn't deserve to die. I had arrived at Dave's house and went into the kitchen because I was going to need something to get through this. But I was caught by Dave when he entered the kitchen. I didn't know what to do, so I just stood there frozen.

"Hey." I said breaking the silence.

"Hey." Dave said. "Want a drink?"

I smiled. "You read my mind."

Dave grabbed a bottle of whiskey from the cabinet and poured some of it in some glasses. I took a sip of it and it burned the back of my throat. I looked up at Dave who began pouring himself another drink.

"I'm sorry for what happened especially to Anja. She didn't deserve to die like that." I spoke.

"Yea well it's my fault that that they're gone." Dave said as he took his other shot and poured more into his glass.

I put my hand over his. "Don't do that. Don't start blaming yourself again. Dave this is not your fault."

"Why shouldn't it be?" Dave asked. "Everyone that I ever love or care about ends up dying. What the fuck am I suppose to think?"

"Nothing. You're suppose to think of nothing except for how to move on. You just lost some family and a friend. You're suppose to mourn them and cherish the memories you had together because in the end those memories are going to be the only ones you have left." I said. "I know it's tough being the one to survive."

I took my hand away from Dave's and poured me another drink. "Listen Veronica, I wanted to say that I'm sorry." Dave said.

I looked up at Dave about to take a sip of my drink. "Sorry for what?"

"I know the past few months we haven't talked and that was because of me. I don't want you out of my life, you are important to me." Dave said.

I smiled. "You're important to me too Dave. And I'm sorry for all the things I did."

"So where do we go from here?" Dave asked.

"We can be friends. I mean just because we're not together doesn't mean we can't hang out like friends do." I suggested.

"Yea ok." Dave said.

Dave and I walked up to each other an embraced into a hug. The smell of his cologne went up my nose and made my knees weak. The hug lasted longer than it should've but I knew why. I missed Dave more than he realizes and even though I said we should be friends, it's going to be hard to be able to be with him and not be with him. Soon enough, Lottie walked into the kitchen and we both pulled away. Both of us walked out into the backyard and held up glasses with liquor except for Lottie she had water.

"To Alex, Anja, and Johnnie. They're gone but they will never be forgotten." Dave said raising his glass.

We all raised our glasses joining him and took a sip. Afterwards we played some music and Best Part x H.E.R ft. Daniel Caesar played. Even though this was a funeral and everyone was taking this very hard, I couldn't help but smile because it was good to see everyone smiling and having a good time.

Later That Night

Dave East

Uncle, Nasir, and I walked into my basement where the three of us could have some privacy. I knew what my uncle wanted to talk about but I didn't know what he had planned to go about it.

"Wass up Unc?" I asked.

"Listen I know shit has gone down in the last couple of years and everyone here needs protecting." Uncle said. "Now that Dre is gone, how about we take the game to the next level."

"What are you talking about?" Nasir asked.

"I'm moving me and my crew up here to Cali. We gone make this shit a family business." Uncle said. "So what you say nephew?"

I wanted to say no, but to be honest it sounded like a good idea. It would give me the resources I would need once I catch the motherfucker who killed my family.

"Sounds good Unc." I said.

Looks like the last of the Brewsters are taking over California.

Look out motherfuckers cause we coming, ain't nothing stopping us.