11

11. Marissa

Marquez West

I'm not gonna lie but growing up shit wasn't easy. I had to fight every single day just so I could make it on my own. Dad left me when my moms was still pregnant with me. He owed some people a lot of money and before he could pay them back he left us. My mother never told me why she loved him, but I thought it because he always gave her some good dick. But when I finally heard my mother talk about him, she must've really loved him. It's too bad because from the stories she told me, he sounded like a great guy. Soon after when I was thirteen, my mom died. I didn't know how or why, I just got the call saying she was dead and that I had to go to children's home for a while. I hated it. I was always getting into fights with the other boys because they didn't like me which I didn't care about. I didn't need anyone to like me because love, family and friends to me were nothing but a distraction. I just wanted to age out of the system and get the fuck on with my life.

When I was sixteen, a group of us headed to the beach to go party. I was down because I needed to get out of the hellhole they called a home. There was a bonfire, music, weed, and lots of booze. It was my kind of scene. But at this party, I saw this beautiful girl in trouble. She was arguing with what seemed like her boyfriend and I knew if I didn't step in, he was going to hit her. She was happy that I helped her out and wanted to know if she could repay me. But I didn't care about that because what I did was the right thing to do.

Marissa.

That was her name.

Marissa was unlike anyone I've ever met before. She was sweet, caring, smart, kind, funny, and most of all she was beautiful. I would sneak out of the home every night to see her because there was something about her that made me keep going back. She was everything I was not and every time I was with her, it felt as if the world was gone and it was just me and her. I didn't know love would be like this and after losing everything to only find something else. It was a blessing. She was a blessing. Marissa and I dated for eight years and from that moment I knew that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. I proposed to her and when she said yes, I was the happiest man in the world. But the universe didn't give me this happiness, so why should it take it away from me?

I was meeting Marissa for a surprise birthday dinner when I realized that she was almost an hour late. Marissa was never late and so I called her to make sure that everything was ok, but when I called it wasn't Marissa who picked up it was the paramedics. They told me that Marissa was in an accident and that she was killed. They told me that she was killed by some gang and that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. From then on, I wanted to avenge Marissa's death. I asked the police if they knew who did it and of course they were no help, so I had to search on my own. I found out about the gang in LA, so I moved out there and waited. Later on, I found out that it was Dave who killed my fiancée and I knew that I had to make sure that he knew what it felt like to have everything stripped away from you. So I watched him and seen who he hung out with and who was the most important person in his life.

Veronica.

That was her name.

The girl who was close to Dave and the girl who I had to kill. But getting to know Veronica and who she was, I knew I couldn't do it. She reminded me of Marissa. She was another version of Marissa that I wanted to know. She was someone that I fell in love with. She was someone I had to keep for myself and what better way of that was to make sure that Dave never sees her again. To make sure he never takes the girl he loves for granted ever again.