14

14. Anger At Its Peak

Two Weeks Later...

Roni Quinn

Lola Josie Quinn
( July 16th, 1995 - April 10th, 2020 )
Beloved Sister & Friend
Even the darkest nights will end and the sun will rise.

"Thank you everyone for gathering here this afternoon. We are here to celebrate the life of Lola Josie Quinn. She was a beloved sister and friend who was taken from us too soon. Yes it's true that Lola had some dark demons but she was able to surpass them and create a light that she was able to shine even if it was a short period of time. To her friends and family, she would want you to move on and celebrate the light she played in your lives. The heavens have accepted an angel of light into their gates of peace."

***

"Roni?"

I snapped from my thoughts and saw Lottie standing next to me.

"What?" I said.

"It's over. Come on, let me take you home." Lottie said.

I nodded my head afraid of saying something. We both walked over to her car and I got inside the passenger seat. As soon as Lottie got inside, we drove off. As we were driving, I couldn't help but think about Lola and all the shit that we missed. All the shit we could've did together as sisters.

I snapped from my thoughts when Lottie pulled up to my apartment building.

"You ok? Do you want me to come with you?" Lottie asked.

"No. I think I just need some sleep." I said.

Lottie slightly smiled. "Ok. But you call me if you need anything."

"I will." I said about to get out. "Hey Lottie."

"Yea?" Lottie said.

"I want to thank you for always being there for me. You are my family and I just want you to know that I love you so much. You are the sister I never had." I said.

I saw a tear stream down Lottie's face and I felt one come out of my eye too. Lottie wiped her tears away. "Thanks Roni. I love you too and I will always be there for you."

We both looked at each other for a few more seconds before I finally stepped out of the car and entered my apartment. I went to my bedroom and laid down on my bed and without even realizing it, I started to cry. I cried harder than I've ever had in my entire life.

6:48 pm

Dave East

After the funeral, I want d to give Veronica some space. I know she was hurting and it was gonna take some time for her to get over Lola's death. But it had been hours since I've talked to her I hope she didn't do anything to hurt herself of anyone else.

I pulled up to Veronica's building and headed upstairs to her apartment. I knocked on the door and there was no answer. I knocked on the door again and there was still no answer. I was about three seconds from breaking down the door when the door unlocked and Veronica opened it. She was wet from head to toe. She must've just gotten out of the shower.

"Hey." I said.

"Hi." Veronica said walking away from the door.

I went inside her apartment and closed the door behind me.

"What do you want?" Veronica's asked.

"I was worried about you. I didn't hear from you for hours." I said.

"So." Veronica said.

"So? I thought you did something to hurt yourself or someone else." I said.

"You think I'd hurt myself. Why? I didn't do anything wrong." Veronica said.

"I know..."

"But you did." Veronica said.

"What?" I questioned. "What are you talking about?"

"If it weren't for you, none of this shit wouldn't have happened. If it weren't for you, my life wouldn't be in this shit storm. If it weren't for you my sister would still be alive." Veronica said.

"Look I know you're angry right now but you should stop talking before you say something you'll regret." I said.

"Trust me, what I'm about to say I promise I won't regret." Veronica started. "I thought I could find some happiness in my life after my sister died. I thought I could move on but all I found is misery. I've lost everything when I got with you. I've been kidnapped twice stabbed and all for what? So the people you pissed the fuck off could get their revenge. You fucking serious?"

"You think I haven't lost anyone too! My whole fucking family is dead! I have no one left." I said.

"And why do you think that is?" Veronica asked.

I was silent.

"It's because anyone who gets close to you ends up dead." Veronica said.

I nodded my head. "So where does this leave us?"

Veronica's the yes were filled with tears but they didn't come down, not yet. "I don't want to see you ever again. I'm done coming up with excuses. I'm just done."

"Fine." I said walking away.

"You know Liya was wrong about you. You're not a monster... You're the devil." Veronica said.

I opened the door to Veronica's apartment and slammed the door behind me. I made my way downstairs to my car.

Fuck!

Roni Quinn

Once the door slammed to my apartment, the tears that I had been holding back finally came pouring out of me. My life was falling apart and there was no way that I could get it back on track. I've lost and it was too late to win.

Fuck!