26

26. Panic

Dave East

Looking at Veronica right now in this hospital bed made me sick to my stomach. She has been lying here for the past week and there's nothing that I could do to help her. I've put her through so much and I know I've hurt her and I can't believe she hasn't left me. I love this woman to death and I really don't deserve her.

The sound of the heart monitor stopped me from my thoughts. I looked up at Veronica's face and it was pale. She looked like she was dead. I grabbed her hand which was warm and used my fingers to caress it.

"Veronica if you can hear me... I hope you can hear me. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry that this happened. I'm sorry that I'm so fucked up. That you keep getting hurt and mixed up in the shit that I'm in. I understand if you never want to speak to me again. I will find out who did this and put them down." I said squeezing her hand. 

I exhaled heavily as I looked at Veronica's beautiful face. Suddenly, I felt her squeeze my hand back. I looked up at Veronica and her eyes were opening. 

"Veronica?" I said.

"D-Dave." Veronica managed to say. 

"Veronica." I said getting closer to her.

"W-what happened?" Veronica questioned. 

 "Its ok, you're in the hospital." I said. 

"Dave..."

"It's all gonna be ok." I said.

I didn't know what to say. I couldn't find the right words.

"You need to know." Veronica said.

"Veronica, just lie back. You've been through a lot." I said. "I'm gonna go and get the doctor."

I left Veronica and went to go tell whoever would listen that she was awake. I was happy that she was awake but I couldn't look at her. I just couldn't look at her.

Lauren Castillo

"Ms. Castillo?"

"What?" I looked up.

"There's a Nasir here to see you."

I was intrigued. "Let him in." 

There he was after six years. Nasir fucking Jones. 

"Well well well, this is unexpected." I said leaning back in my chair.

"Hey Lauren." Nasir said. 

"Nas, it's good to see you. What brings you by?" I said.

"Cut the bullshit Lauren." Nasir said. "You need to stop whatever it is you're doing."

"And what is that? I'm getting what I fucking deserve." I explained.

"No." Nasir nodded. "This is about revenge. This is about Beau." 

I clenched my jaw. "Don't you fucking say his name!" 

"Lauren it's not Dave's not fault and it's not my fault either." Nasir said. 

I raised my eyebrow. "Believe me it is. You don't know the hell I went through when you guys left. What wrath I suffered." 

"Lauren..." 

"Don't. Just don't." I said. "When Dave left, I was heartbroken but I still had you. I still had you Nas. Remember all the times, we had together Nas? They were pretty wild." I said. 

"I have a family Lauren. I don't do that anymore. I'm not the same person I was when we met." Nasir said. 

"Too bad he was ore fun." I said. "Why are you here Nas?"