Chapter 4: No Longer Silenced

"Well, it's seems you have a counterpart, sweetheart" I instantly recognized Haymitch as he looked over at Katniss.

"Yeah, that's great until he gets himself killed" She said, sitting down

"You can't blame him, these games should've never returned" Said Peeta.
"I'm surprised he found more game makers"

"I'm surprised someone didn't kill him." She glared at him. He held up his hands. "I'm not talking about you!" He said. I stood up. 

"If you two are just going to argue, I'm not staying" 

"There's no place to go, son" Said Haymitch. I growled.

"I am NOT YOUR SON"

"I never said that you were" He said. I looked away. May looked at me sympathetically. I looked up just in time to see her stand and walk over to me. She sat in the seat next to me and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Are you okay?" I growled. 

"NO. I'M NOT OKAY. THESE DAMN GAMES SHOULD NEVER HAVE RETURNED"

"Jake, keep your voice-" Pleaded May. She was cut off by Katniss

"no, let him talk" She said. She was looking at me strangely. She seemed.... interested.

 "I HATE SNOW. I HATE THE PEACE-KEEPERS. I HATE THE HUNGER GAMES!" I screamed. I took a few deep breaths. Peeta looked at Katniss, a smile on his face. 

"I wonder who he learned that from?" She smirked as she looked at me.

"Jackson Novo, right?"

"Jake."

"Okay, Jake. And May Evans?"

"Yeah" She said, nodding

"What you two did on the platform is very unusual." Said Haymitch, sipping his drink. I could tell from his breath that it was alcoholic. 

"All the more reason to kill us" Said May.

"All the more reason... for sponsors to LIKE you" Said Haymitch. Katniss nodded.

"You were probably too young to remember... but that was our method" Peeta added,

"At one point, the Game Makers told us that we could both survive."

"They lied" There was a moment of silence. I suddenly blurted out,

"How did you both survive!?" 

"Nightlock" Said Katniss quietly. May's face drained of color,

"The berry?" 

"Yes, we threatened to eat nightlock unless we could both survive" 

"Bu-But that's insane! Why would they let you both survive instead of neither of you!?" I said.

"They need a victor." Said Haymitch. "Without one, they have no Games, just a whole bunch of angry districts and viewers."

"So... they had to let you both survive... in order to stop an uprising?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yeah, ironic isn't it?" Said Katniss bitterly. I nodded. 

"Show them" May whispered in my ear. 

"What?"

"You know, your powers" I nodded. I flicked my wrist and a stream of fire shot from my fingertips, darkening a part of the glass in the window. Katniss turned and looked at me. She had a small smile

"Where'd you learn that, Outlier?"