Chapter 14: Countdown

"60, 59, 58, 57, 56" I looked around. The arena seemed to be split into 4 areas.
"55, 54, 53, 52, 51" One area was a forest, full of large trees. There were probably mutts in there or other dangers.
"50, 49, 48, 47, 46" The second area was a desert with reddish yellow sand everywhere. Cacti littered the land there. Probably dangerous due to dehydration and heat. And likely mutts.
"45, 44, 43, 42, 41" The third area was an oceanic zone with islands scattered around. I could already tell there were probably dangerous creatures in the water.
"40, 39, 38, 37, 36" The final area was the most interesting. It was a collection of flying islands. There were vines leading down. I couldn't see solid ground beneath the islands. Danger of falling and....... mutts probably.
"35, 34, 33, 32, 31" I'm beginning to notice a pattern in the dangers of each section. Each land seemed to likely hold their own unique set of mutts.
"30, 29, 28, 27, 26" Where should I go? The forest seems like the safest place, but that means that most people were going to go there.
"25, 24, 23, 22, 21" My second choice would probably be the floating islands, they would probably provide the most protection.
"20, 19, 18, 17, 16" I turned my attention to the cornucopia. It was dark, almost black, and metal.
"15, 14, 13, 12, 11" I looked for my weapon. I found it next to a sword. My stomach dropped. It was in the mouth of the cornucopia, the very middle.
"10, 9, 8, 7, 6" I looked at May and I knew we were both remembering Haymich's words that we should run away as fast as we could. But, Outliers could run faster than most people.
"5, 4" But I was injected with the serum. Did it slow me down, too? It was a tough choice...
"3" I had to decide quickly
"2" I locked eyes with Elijah and nodded. Then, my gaze met Amy's. She smiled at me and I smiled back slightly.
"1"

Then there was the sound of the gong