33.

I had never found life to be so enjoyable, so easy, than it had been the past few weeks with Dean. I would work at The Pentagon and he would come and sit at the bar all evening and we would go back to his motel room after I clocked off, and every time I wasn't working, we were together. Having been one of those girls who had never fallen in love or trusted someone enough to be with them, I had always had the secret dream of becoming one of those girls with the boyfriend that adored her, who were together forever. Obviously, I had no idea what was going to happen between Dean and I in the future, if we even made it through the year, or whether or not we ever made it official, but I was having too much fun just being around him to care about whatever the future might throw at us.

Being around Dean made me feel like I was becoming a better person, because God knows I wasn't a good person before the Winchester's came to town. I had been a liar and I had just been downright disgusting with my choice of life career. Evidently, I was completely done with that part of my life now, the door was securely shut with about ten different locks on it, never to be reopened again. I felt fuller around Dean too, not like I had eaten too much at breakfast, but because I had always felt like I missing something, like some part of me was empty, and he had managed to plug up all the holes and make me feel so much better.

I opened the door to my bedroom, leaving a peacefully sleeping Dean in the bed and closing it behind me, padding into the kitchen in Dean's shirt and a pair of underwear. Mason and Trent had gone on a hunting case in Rhode Island and they said they wouldn't be back for at least a week, so I would have the apartment to myself. Mason had told me to not have any boys sleepover, and by any boys I knew he meant Dean, but he always knew that I wouldn't listen to him and I wasn't sixteen anymore. I could do what I want, and so far, Dean had slept over every night and we hadn't been interrupted. Until that moment. I had gone to get a bottle of water from the fridge, only to pause when I saw the tall man hunched over in one of my kitchen chairs, as if the chair couldn't contain his height.

"Sam," I held my hand to my heart, my voice low and wispy as I thought I was about to have my heart jump right out of my chest because of the fear Sam Winchester had just evoked in me by not letting Dean and I know that he was here, "What are you doing here?" After I asked the question, I realized that I wanted to know a different answer to a different question and quickly got ready to speak it. "Hold up, how  did you get in here?" If our building was having security problems, I wanted to know about it.

"Your door was unlocked?" He said it more like a question than a statement, like I should have already known exactly how he had gotten in. I chose to ignore the words that he had said though, because I knew that my door hadn't been unlocked because I locked it every night before I went to sleep after the whole Dallas Debacle and everything else that came along with it. Besides, I didn't know if I wanted to know how he had really gotten into my apartment. "But that's not important," He said, pushing his long hair back behind his ears, "What's important is that I need Dean to focus, just for a little while, except he's always off sleeping with you," Sam didn't say it unkindly, like he wanted me gone from his brothers life, more like he was just stating a fact and I nodded, letting him continue.

"We still have a case in this city, even if Dallas is dead, there's still something else going on here that's connected to Dallas, and it's our job to find it and kill it," My blood chilled at Sam's words and I hastily sat down before I fell down, my legs feeling like jelly and my spine like ice. Hearing that there was something that was connected to the Dallas Thing, I felt uneasy and afraid. Though, it would be just my luck to have some other super homicidal maniac running after me.

"Why didn't Dean tell me this?" I was curious as to why Dean would have kept something as important as that from me, even if it did scare me all the way to my soul, to the point that I was quaking in my boots. But then it hit me, all the time he had spent with me, how he hardly even let me go to the bathroom by myself, maybe it hadn't only been because he was as infatuated with me as I was with him, or just because I made him happy, but because he was trying to protect me from the next big threat that had already weighed down my shoulders, even though I knew next to nothing about whatever the situation was and I had no reason to be so scared yet.

"He probably didn't want to worry you," Sam shrugged, seemingly oblivious to the fear he had injected me with with his few sentences, "Point is," He said, "I need Dean to help me with this case because he's my partner, and partners help each other. I get that he's looking out for you or in love with you or something, but I need my brother to help me," Sam looked at me, his brown eyes blaring down into mine, so much so that it gave me the chills. I understood what he was saying and it did make proper sense, but I couldn't help thinking to myself that I needed his brother to help me, too. Obviously, I was just being a selfish brat who didn't want to share, but I really did like having him around day and night.

"I--" For a while, I was starstruck and I found it hard to say anything and I had to send waves of information to my mouth from my brain hundreds of times before my mouth finally realized that it had to do its job of speaking the words my brain wanted to say, "Do you have any leads on who it might be?" That wasn't the exact question I had been going to ask the taller Winchester, but it was the one that came out. Though, what Sam replied with, I hadn't been expecting anything like that at all. His next words honestly came as a shock to me and I wasn't sure what to say to him after that.

"Yeah, some girl that lives downstairs. Cora Oliver."