Reunited

You sat in your bed scrolling through old photos of from this past year. As you got farther and farther there were more and more pictures of you and Ben. This past year had been really rough ever since Ben left for Newsies. You both had gone to the audition together, but Kara got Katherine. You can't even pretend to be mad, she was so deserving of the part. You were nearing your 17th birthday and decided that you would try to join the cast again seeing as Kara was leaving because she was rejoining 'Wicked' again. 

Her run on Newsies was great, but you were determined to be better. For the past four weeks, you had been seeing a vocal coach to perfect your sound. Your audition had gone pretty well and you felt really good about it. After the first audition you went to so many dance classes, you had lost count. 

Your eyelids had become increasingly heavy and you felt them start to shut as your phone violently started to ring. The number was unlisted but you still answered. 

"Hello?"

"Hi, is this y/f/n y/l/n?"

"It is, can I ask who's this is?"

"Hi Y/n, this is Elisabeth Leustig, the Newsies casting director. I wanted to congratulate you and offer you the role of Katherine Plumber. You would be an understudy for the first couple of shows until Kara leaves."

You couldn't believe what you were hearing. You muted the microphone and jumped out of bed, cheering and jumping around. You unmuted the mic and spoke again, "Oh my gosh! I would be honored to accept the role! Thank you so much!" You were speaking at a mile a minute and barely heard Elisabeth as she told you the studio to head to tomorrow to learn the choreo and practice singing. You were going to be on 8 hours of practice, a day, and then you had at least 1 show a week, once you learned everything,  depending on how Kara felt. 

You had barely slept but still managed to get a couple hours of shuteye. Your mom was so happy for you and knew that taking a gap year was going to benefit you so much. As you drove to the studio you grabbed an iced vanilla latte, something else to keep you running beside the adrenaline. You hadn't told Ben because you wanted to surprise him. You had texted Josh though to make sure they weren't doing anything today and were stopping by to "do a freestyle dance class." 

You pulled into the studio parking lot and hopped out of your car. You headed to the practice room you had been instructed to and still had a good 30 minutes before everyone was supposed to start arriving. You started stretching while blaring the soundtrack. You admittedly already knew all the lyrics so that wasn't going to be too hard of a task to manage. 

After stretching and warming up everything you decided to turn on a '2000s top hits' radio and just do some light freestyle dance. It felt good to be dancing again. As "Mirror" by Justin Timberlake finished you were almost tackled to the floor. 

"OH MY GOSH Y/N I'VE MISSED YOU SO MUCH"

"Hi Ben!"

As Ben got off from on top of you, you wrapped your arms around him, letting him engulf you. Even though you liked to think you were tall Ben still had a good 3-4 inches on you so his hugs swallowed you whole. You missed the feeling of his arms, and it was nice to be back in them. 

As the hug soon ended you waved to Josh before Ben playfully punched your arm, "Why didn't you tell me you got cast?!?" He pouted out his lip and crossed his arm. It was fun to be back with him. 

"Because I wanted to surprise you, OH! By the way, thank you, Josh, for getting him out of bed before 6. You're a saint."

"So what I'm hearing is Josh was apart of this evil scheme and there's no freestyle dance class."

"Yep, just me here practicing to join you guys on tour when Kara goes back to Wicked."

"Ugh, I hate you both," Ben said laughing as he pulled you and Josh into a group hug. 

You knew these next few weeks would be pretty grueling, but it was definitely going to be worth it to have Ben again.

Thank you so much to @crankymommanoot for suggesting this one shot! I hope you enjoyed it!