Chapter 2

1825. I grew up and that's where all the secrets started to come up. I was always passionate about painting. My mother loved to paint a lot but after she passed away earlier this year. I was just 15 years old and now it was only Combeferre and me.

Combeferre had taken care of me like he done this for so long. Not only that Combeferre was a student, he had also taken up a job to support us. Of course, I had tried finding a suiting position for myself but these were all factory's that I couldn't work at, because I was too young.

There were a few things that came up in my mind whenever I got rejected. And that was selling my body. I talked with Combeferre about it and he was strongly against it. He said I wasn't supposed to work for money. I should focus on my own interests. Then it hit me. I could sell a few of my paintings.

At first people weren't open to buy paintings off a young girl, but soon people had warmed up to that idea and I started to earn a lot of money. I was following my interests AND I was supporting us with money. It was the best thing on the entire world.
That was until the king raised the price for bread. Less and less people paid for my paintings and soon I had to stop selling them. Thank God, that I saved all the money.

Combeferre had no idea that I made money. But he did: and he wasn't very happy about it. "Aurore, what did I tell you? You should follow your interests.", he said. "I did follow my interests. I sold paintings of mine. I loved doing that.", I admitted. There was no way of denying that. I took the francs I made and handed it to him. He looked stunned.

"You DID that?", he asked surprised. I nodded. He walked over to me and hugged me tightly. "Thank you. But you don't have to do that. But thank you.", he said with a big smile plastered on his face.

I reflected his smile.

(A/N: second chapter because I am so motivated to write 🎉 leave your thoughts on this chapter below prediction time: which barricade boy will be first introduced? (Except for Combeferre obviously 😂)