We're Friends After All

"Because your brother is dead, Frisk. I'm so sorry."

I could feel the tears coming down my face. Why was I crying? I don't deserve to cry. It's my fault he died, I couldn't save him. I wiped my tears away and turned to face Frisk. The moment I turned to Frisk who was oddly quiet, I felt my soul freeze. The look on their face had so much pain and sadness in them. Big tears were dripping off their face. I couldn't take it anymore so I hugged them, but they didn't hug me back. Not even a minute later they gently pushed me back, they looked up at me and opened their mouth.

"How?" she asked

"How? How did he die?" Asked Frisk. "I couldn't save him, Frisk, I couldn't. He was very kind, and that became his downfall... Mettaton killed him. His last words were..."

*Flashback*

 "KID! Your hp!" I yelled "Hurry eat something, you can't die!" Jean looked up at me, giving me the most kindness smile I had ever seen. Reaching in his inventory he gave me something wrapped in a cloth. "Mr. Skeleton... Miss... Toriel... Told me to give you this." Jean started coughing blood. And with his last strength, he smiled and whispered. "Don't... give..up...hope.." and then Jean closed his eyes. And never opened them again."

*End of flashback* 

Frisk didn't say anything after I told her what happened, I knew that her reason for falling in the underground was... shattered by my own hands.

"Frisk... I...-"

"Sans." I slowly turned my head towards Frisk. They wiped their tears on their sleeve and looked at me straight into my eye as if they were searching for something. Then they gave me a smile.

"Sans. I forgive you." said Frisk. What? Now I was confused... I just told them I was the reason that their brother was dead, how could they forgive me?

"No Frisk you can't forgive me, I'm the reason your brother is dead!" I stood up as I finished my sentence. Frisk slowly stood up and grabbed my hand.

"It's not your fault Sans... what matters is that you tried to save him."

"But-"

"No buts! It was unpreventable Sans." Frisk said  "You couldn't have saved him anyway." What did they mean it was unpreventable, I looked at Frisk who had a look of... I couldn't put my finger on the expression they had. I was about to ask Frisk what they meant when suddenly I was ripped from Frisk's hand. "SANS!" screamed Frisk, who reached out for me. It happened so fast I couldn't process what happened, just a moment ago Frisk was forgiving me and then the next I find myself pinned to the ground by... oh no... my brother Papyrus.

"Hello, brother."

No pov:

"P-papyrus?!"

Ganz choked out.

"Let go of me!" Ganz struggled against the hand wrapped around his neck, causing Papyrus to tighten his grip.

"I'd rather not, brother." Papyrus said while tightening his grip around Ganz. "Sans!" Frisk started to take a step towards the two but was quickly stopped my Ganz.

"Frisk! Don't come any closer! Ugh!" Ganz started coughing partly from the lack of air he was getting. Thankfully they listened to him and didn't proceed to take another step forward. Papyrus took his eyes off Ganz and turned his head to look at Frisk, and looked back a Ganz with a look of jealousy and disgust.

"Why are you protecting the human brother?" Papyrus asked.

"They're the ones who locked us down here! They are a disgusting race, brother. This is the last human soul we need to break the barrier with. So... why are you protecting them?" Papyrus questioned.

"Because I don't want another innocent human to die!" Screamed Ganz; powering a magic attack to knock papyrus off of him. It failed. Papyrus noticed the magic gathering in the air, and lifted Ganz's head off the ground and slammed back down. Ganz wasn't knocked out but the collision with the ground made Ganz lose focus on powering the attack.

"I didn't want to do that brother, but you left me with no choice." Frisk felt powerless while watching Ganz suffer by the hands of his own brother.

*The thought of helping Ganz fills you with... DETERMINATION...* Frisk could hear voices screaming at her to help Ganz, and then she heard a voice that stood out from all the other voices.

"Frisk... not everything can be resolved by just being nice."

"Yeah, Frisk! Hurry up and help him!"

"After all... We... believe in you!" They said together. Frisk knew the voices were right. Not everything can be solved by just being nice. Frisk took a deep breath and reached for an object in their inventory, finding the object they wanted, they pulled it out. They didn't want it to come to this, but with desperate situations come desperate needs. The toy knife clutched tightly in their hands, their determination rising as they glared at Papyrus and yelled.

"PAPYRUS! You want my soul?! Well come and get it!" Frisk screamed hoping it didn't sound as weak and hopeless as she felt. It was enough to cause Papyrus to stand up, but his hand didn't leave Ganz yet so Ganz was lifted into the air as Papyrus stood up.

"Frisk... run...away, you.. can't..fight him.." Ganz said as he clawed at Papyrus' arm once more.

"I won't leave you behind, Ganz! I won't do it! We're friends after all."