6 when he smiled

He was wonderful.

"Where do you want to start?" I asked. Sirius and I were sitting next to each other in the library. We would have to spend so much time together so I could tutor him, which is amazing.

Now I could make up for discovering his name. I could show him how nice I can be, and maybe from there, we would become friends.

"I don't know. I'm bad at all of it," Sirius said, without looking at me.

"Did you do the homework last week?"

"I tried."

"Maybe we should start there," I offered. I learned from teaching other students that practising different things by doing their homework made them more motivated.

Sirius shook his head. He had his arms crossed, blocking me out completely. I wondered if he was this closed off from everyone, or just me.

"What else do you wanna do then?" If he didn't like my ideas, he would need to have some himself.

"Slughorn opened a 'test-test' for me on the computer. It's similar to the one we had today. He said you were a really good teacher," He mumbled, still not looking directly at me. "I don't have a computer yet, but he said we could use yours."

I smiled discreetly. He had never said that much to me before. We hadn't even begun and it was already brilliant. "Then we'll do that."

I found my computer and the website. Sirius logged in with his codeword. This caused him to open up his arms. He started the test-test, the first question came up;

2x + 4 = 34 - 3x

"Okay, that's an easy one," I told him as I wrote it down on paper. I always found it easier to write it down, then calculate.

"That's an easy one?!" he complained.

I shouldn't have said that. "It's okay," I assured him. "You just have to get the general idea of how to solve it, and then it's smooth sailing from there. We need to get the 'x' to be alone-"

"What does that mean?"

"It means we have to get the 'x' on the one side of the equal mark, and the numbers on the other," I told patiently.

He bit his lip. "Is it annoying that I ask...?" Sirius somehow became smaller when he asked.

"No, no, not at all," I said quickly. "The more questions you ask, the more you learn, so ask away." I smiled at him. He nodded and looked at the computer again.

"Which side does the 'x' have to be on?"

"That doesn't matter, it can be on any side you want, sometimes it easier to put it on the right side, and other times the left side. But it never matters."

"Where would it be easiest to put now?"

I looked at the computer, thought a little. "The left side."

"How do we make the 'x' stand alone when there is two of them?" he asked, genuinely confused. Oh god, he just said 'we' as in we are doing something together. I was way too hype for no reason at all.

"We put them together." He continued to look confused, yet I kept explaining. "Right now there is 2x's on the left side, and less than 3x's on the right side-"

"What does that mean? Why is it less than 3x's?"

"Because it says '- 3x' which means, that we don't have 3x's, because it's minus 3. You always use the sign in front of the number."