Chapter 10

Donald DeGrate.

"I love you, girl and I want you to be my lady, forever- nah, nah. That's not deep enough." I sighed and paced the bathroom, trying to find the right words to say.

After speaking with Maurice two days ago, I finally decided that today was the day I'd be asking her to marry me, and to say I was nervous would be an understatement.

I had already planned our activities for the day and I knew when I'd pop the question, but I was still trying to figure out how.

I stood in front of the mirror and huffed before speaking once again, "I'm in love with you, baby. I want this, forever so I'm asking if you would do me the honor of being my wife?- Mm!" I groaned frustratedly, not satisfied with my attempts to find the perfect way to ask her.

Before I could say anything else, three knocks on the door brought me out of my reverie.

I went ahead and unlocked the door and opened it, seeing Dalvin standing there. "What?"

"Man, hurry up, I gotta piss!" He says irritatedly. "Alright, man. Let me finish getting dressed."

"You been in here for over an hour. The hell are you doing?" I smacked my lips and rolled my eyes. "I'm getting dressed. Give me five minutes." With that, I shut the door and locked it.

I grabbed my baby blue T-shirt off of the shower rack and I slid it on, tucking it into my black jeans. Once I accessorized myself and sprayed on my cologne, I exited the bathroom and pushed passed Dalvin.

When I entered my room, I went ahead and grabbed everything I would need, including the ring, before exiting and jogging downstairs where my mother sat on the couch, watching re-runs of her soap operas.

"Alright, Mama, I'm gone." I walked over to her and kissed her cheek. "Alright, have fun and be safe, baby. And tell Ms. Journey I wanna see her before she leaves, ya' hear?" She says and I smiled.

It made me feel good knowing that both of my parents, especially my mom were fond of the woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

"Sure thing, Ma." With that, I made my way out of the house and hopped into my car before making my way to my baby.

Journey Hayes

"Who are you all dolled up for?" Dad says as I entered the living room. "I have a date, thank you very much." I hit his leg softly before plopping down on the couch beside him.

"Where's that serpent you call a sister?" I say and he glares at me, causing me to smile sweetly. "She went to go play Bingo. I gotta go pick her up in about an hour." I smacked my lips.

"Daddy, when is this lady going home? I'm tired of going back and forth with her everyday and seeing her and her dusty wig on the sofa." He shakes his head and looks up at the ceiling, tucking in his lips to stifle a laugh.

"You know that was funny, don't front." He chuckles. "You got some issues, girl. But I promise she will be out of our hair this weekend, for sure." He says, nudging me. "Anyways, where's Donald taking you?"

"He said it was a surprise, so," I shrugged my shoulders and he smiles at me. "You really love him don't you?" He asks and I start to smile uncontrollably as my cheeks flushed red.

I couldn't even talk about him without blushing. He really had me sprung but I honestly didn't mind.

"Yeah, I do." He chuckles and wraps his arm around me. "I can tell. I can tell he loves you a lot, too." He responds and I looked over at him.

"How?"

"How what?" He asks and I shifted in my seat a bit. "How can you tell that he loves me?"