Tou-tan And Mi-tan

"Mama, mama, hurry up!" a chubby boy with cheeks as pink as sakura blossoms pulled at my jeans. "We're going to be late!"

I squatted down so the little boy and I were eye level. "Mama? Me?" I asked while pointing at myself.

"Hai! You're my mama!" he smiled, his face reminded me of someone I can't seem to remember.

I pinched his cheek and said, "Eh? But I'm not your mama."

The boy inhaled deeply in annoyance, making his already very round cheeks puff up. "But you're my mama! You're Mi-tan[1] and Tou-tan's mama!"

"Mi-tan and Tou-tan?" I asked confusedly. "Who are they?"

"I'm Tou-tan and my sister is Mi-tan! We're your babies!" he looked really hurt and about to cry. "Mama, how can you forget about us?"

When I saw a single tear fall from his eye, an unknown pain gripped my heart. "I..."

"You and papa said you love us more than anything in this world!" another tear fell and was followed by another, then another.

"It's just that—" I wanted to say I don't know him but couldn't bring myself to do so.

"Waa!" He was definitely bawling now. "You've forgotten all about us, you don't love us anymore," he hiccupped.

"But Tou-tan," I couldn't resist it anymore so I hugged the crying child before me.

"Mama is a meanie! She doesn't love us anymore," he hugged me back but continued to cry in my arms. His little shoulders shook, my words must have really hurt him.

"Shh, m-mama... M-mama is sorry," I comforted him awkwardly.

"You said you're not my mama!" he wailed.

"I'm your mama," I rubbed his back. "I am Tou-tan's mama."

"And Mi-tan's, too?" he slightly pulled away to see if I was serious.

"Yes, I'm also Mi-tan's mama."

"You remember now?" as if by miracle, his tears stopped and were replaced by a very adorable smile.

"Yes, my little rice ball," I didn't want to lie but if it was the only way to stop his heartbreaking cry then so be it.

"Little rice ball?" he repeated, his eyes shone with wonder. "Tou-tan is a little rice ball?"

"Hai! A very cute little rice ball."

"Is Mi-tan also a very cute little rice ball?" he asked curiously.

"Of course, you're both my very cute little rice balls!"

He suddenly giggled and jumped towards me. "Mama, I love you!"

Apparently, this little boy's happiness was contagious because I felt myself brimming with a different kind of joy. "I love you, too."

He squirmed out of our hug and started pulling me again. "Mama, let's go. It's almost time!"

I grabbed his hand that was tugging at my sleeve and carried him in my arms instead. "Alright, where exactly do you want to bring me?"

"To papa!" he said. "He's hurrying to return to your side ever since he heard the news!"

"Papa? News?"

"Mmm!" he nodded his head vigorously. "He is on his way to see you, he's very angry and very scared. He's worried about Mi-tan and Tou-tan but he's more worried about mama."

"Mi-tan is hurt?" I looked around to find the little girl he keeps mentioning but we were surrounded by nothingness. "Where is your sister?"

"Mi-tan said she'll stay in mama's tummy and leave it all to me; don't worry, she'll be fine. We'll both be fine, we believe in mama."