{18} The X Guard's X Duty

In the Dentora region of the republic of Padokea, there is a 3,722 meter-high dormant volcano surrounded by forests, called Kukuroo Mountain. It is the home of the famous Zoldyck family of assassins. Visitors come, every day, hoping for a glimpse of the mansion no one has ever seen before. It is a very popular tourist spot in this nation. Kira, Gon, and their friends have confronted the obstacles that they must overcome in order to meet with Killua. What awaits them at their destination?

After three weeks of vigorous strength training, the four of us pair up to open the Testing Gate. Gon and Leorio go first, with Kurapika and I soon to follow. Kurapika and I nod to each other, match our breathing, and simultaneously push the gate with all of our strength. The first gate finally opens and I fall though the opening between the doors meeting my brother on the other side. His left arm had been injured from his fight with Hanzo back in the final phase, so I was relived when he removed the sling from around his neck to be able to open the gate.

At first, Gon almost doesn't seem to believe it. "It opened!" We high five then he scoops me up with a celebration hug.

"See we do have the 'qualifications' to be Killua's friends," I say with delight.

"No." Gon corrects me, "You don't need to 'qualify' to be someone's friend."

"Tell that to his family," I say with a hint of sarcasm. "We could have been there by now."

"Yes!" Leorio yells in triumph.

"We did it Gon, Kira!" Kurapika shouts. Even he can't help but smile as we all have finally accomplished opening what was originally thought to be the impossible Testing Gate.

Zebro commends us for our efforts. He looks almost as happy as we are that we were able to open the gate. "Follow the path, and head for the mountain. The mansion should be somewhere up there. I'm ashamed to admit that even though I've worked here for twenty years, I've never been up the mountain. Sorry that I can't be any help."

Gon shakes his head in denial. "No, that isn't true. Mr. Zebro, Mr. Seaquant!" He bows in gratitude. "Thank you for everything!" He calls out turning away and running towards the forest. "Goodbye!" He waves back at them.

"Thank you!" I shout back to them from up the path. Sorry but now that we're through the gate there's no time to waste.

Following the pathway Zebro mentioned, we run into a girl whom appears to be around my same age, maybe a year or two older. She has a round face with grey eyes and dark hair that's been combed into thick bunches, each tied with a string towards the end. She doesn't seem to be pleased by our arrival. "Please leave. You're trespassing on private property. I cannot allow you to pass without permission." Her voice is cold.

Gon speaks calmly to her. "We called ahead. And we came through the Testing Gate."

She stands firm. "The butlers office did not give you permission to enter."

"What do we need to do to get permission?' Gon asks. "I said I was Killua's friend but they wouldn't put him on the phone."

"I wouldn't know. Because no one has ever received permission."

Gon gives her a grumpy face. I grit my teeth, "Then we'll have to trespass!"

"I suppose so." The girl gives us a callous stare. "In any case this is where I draw the line. " She uses her staff to draw a line in the dirt between the two pillars in front of her. "If you take one step beyond this line, I'll remove you by force."

Gon takes a step forward as if to challenge her. He continues to move forward but as soon as his foot crosses the line, the girl smashes him in the face with the top of her cane sending him flying back towards us. I catch him before he hits the ground but the force is too great, it knocks me back as well.