Nightmares

🦋

   "Poppy, honey, hurry up!" Queen Lilly called to her agitated daughter stumbling to catch up.

   The two were hurrying to a party just outside of the village. Poppy had been dragged to lots of these before, and being the age of eight years old she couldn't count how many.

   These parties weren't like the tea parties her and her friends had. These were...different and gave Poppy a very unsettling feeling. There was drinking and shouting unruly things; adult parties. The queen said it gave her more of a good reputation when her daughter came along, that it gave the royal family a good name. Lies, all of them.

   Her mother would make her wear only certain clothes and always wear her hair the same way. It made Poppy feel slightly vulnerable.

   Once they showed up, the other trolls somewhat shoved the girls up to the front of the crowd. She weaves through the taller trolls, staying close to her mother. Poppy hid behind her, trying to go unnoticed.

"Poppy, Poppy, Poppy, Poppy!" The adults cheered.

She shrunk back farther. Poppy didn't enjoy the way they all chanted her name. Lilly gave her a nudge, trying to force her to show herself.

"Poppy, Poppy, Poppy!" They went on.

Poppy's mother chucked nervously, "Poppy! Stop being a coward and get your ass out there!" She hissed.

Without hesitation, Poppy scrambled forward.

"Poppy, Poppy, Poppy,Poppy!"

"Poppy, Poppy" her mother joined in.

"What!?" She screeched,having enough, "What do you want me to do!"

The crowd went on.

"Stop! Stop it!" She screamed, getting annoyed.

"Poppy, Poppy, Poppy, Poppy!"

She could hear a familiar voice in the crowd, chanting her name, but in a different tone.

"Poppy, Poppy.....POPPY!"

Poppy jolted up, gasping for air. She looked around and was still in her pod. Branch had his hand on her shoulder.

"Poppy are you ok?" He asked, his voice full of worry.

"What's happening?" Poppy grabbed her forehead, her breathing slowing down.

"I think you were having a nightmare" Branch held a hand to her head, "I hope your aren't sick".

"Branch I'm....I'm fine. It was just a bad dream" She reassured him.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah...." She glanced away, "positive".

Sry it's kinda short...hope you enjoyed!