37| Aint No Mountain High Enough

Corey

Jess and I arrive in beautiful Montreux, Switzerland early in the morning hours of this early May day. It wasn't that big of a place, more of a tourist attraction than anything. This city is famous for its beautiful sights with a large body of water on one side of the city and mountains on the other. No matter where you looked you couldn't be let down. Besides the annual jazz festival it never got too busy even though this was a vacation destination. There was tons of beautiful resorts that you can choose from but I chose the one that's closest to mountain studios that Freddie had build to record a bunch of Queens songs because I know she will want to go there.

But only after we get settled in and the jet lag subsided enough that I can stay awake to enjoy all of this. So the first day was spent in the resort enjoying the beautiful meals and nice jets in the bathtub with the good smelling bubbles. We swam a little and just relaxed wherever there was something nice to look at. The next morning I find Jessie walking around in one of my t-shirts and I have to smile at how lucky I was. Even in almost nothing at all she looked incredible. I didn't even know it was possibly to look that good without trying.

"What are the plans for today" she asks as she pours herself a cup of coffee. No sugar or cream as she just picks up the cup and lets the fragrance wake her up.

"I don't know" I shrug. There was so much we could do I didn't even know where to start.

"I have a idea" she claims.

"What do you have in mind" I ask as I softly pull her into my lap. I didn't want her to spill her coffee but I also didn't want to go one more second without her being by my side. The weather outside was perfect but she's my own ray of sunshine that keeps me warm.

"We should go up a mountain" she claims and I let out a groan.

"I was afraid you were going to say that" I sigh.

"Come on! You've been scaling this mountain in life for long enough. I think it's time you finally get to see the view from the top" she claims and I smile.

"You got my attention" I claim.

"They have lifts that'll take you up there" she tells me.

"Alright I'm sold" I admit and she giggles.

"I should have started with that" she teases.

"Mhmmm someone's being very sassy this morning. You better finish your coffee" I say as I bring the cup closer to her mouth.

"Don't gotta tell me twice."

She finishes her coffee and we have a pretty big breakfast before changing and heading over to the mountains. It wasn't that far from where we were staying at the lake to the mountains just behind it. Once we get to the bottom of the mountain we hop on a little pully system that takes you to the top. I smile big as I look out of the windows and down onto the little town. It was a long ride to the top and we got lucky enough to look at the ups and downs instead of having to go through them again. But they were just as mesmerizing as they were the first time. Because up close you can't see that the hills are a part of the mountain, but without them there would be no way to get up.

I can see why famous people come to this little place for solidarity. It was kind of it's own little world with the sights and the culture that was beautiful but still relatively unknown. But so much history was made here and not just from the band Queen. It was a place of inspiration for so many different people who changed the music world, and I was lucky enough to come here too.

"Oh look! That's the duck house, it's where Freddie stayed while he was here" she says pointing to a mansion on the side of the lake.

"That is one big house" I admit.

"He had to have rooms for all his cats" she says.

"You mean cars" I ask.

"No, his cats. Michael Jackson had a monkey and Miley Cyrus has a pig... Freddie had cats. A bunch of them" she explains.

"Well I guess not everyone is perfect" I tease.

We get up to the top before hopping out. We still had to walk for a while but we finally reach the top. And for the first time in my life I wasn't afraid of the heights. I wasn't afraid of falling either. I was happy that I got to the peak without giving up and going back. I was happy that through all the ups and downs I can enjoy the view from the top for once.

"It's incredible, isn't it" Jess asks as she looks around.

"It's even better than I imagined" I admit.

"Makes it all worth it, doesn't it" she smiles.

"It does. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. It's so beautiful" I gasp. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was a perfect summer day, I kinda wanted to stay up here forever. "So what happens next" I wonder.

"The world is full of mountains, all the ups and downs and sometimes the view isn't that great. Then sometimes you get sights like this and all those dark days at the bottom don't seem to matter. And while this view is great, there's other mountains out there waiting for us to climb. Each with their own set of ups and downs. But with trial comes strength, and you only get to the top once you're strong enough to get through whatever it takes to get there. We grow stronger each day as we learn new things. Things that without it we would never have been able to get up here. But we did and we will do it over and over again because that's this thing called life" she explains.

"I love your brain" I admit.

"It has its perks" she teases.

"I just can't believe that a place like this can get any better... then there you are" I say as I slip my hand in hers. Our fingers get tangled up together as I smile down at her.

"This place has brought so much happiness and so much peace to so many important people in this world. I don't think it would be any different for you" she claims.

"I got all the happiness I need with me wherever I go" I say as I squeeze her hand.

"But this place isn't too bad either" she say and I laugh.

"No, I think it's pretty great" I admit.