Chapter 21: Ambushed

That night, I was asleep. I could feel Peridot with her hand on my back protectively. She didn't want me to be upset, so she convinced the wolves to let her stay in her room with me. I began to feel her move a little more, and it woke me up. I looked at Peridot, who was looking around frantically. I cocked my head to the side curiously.

"What's going on?" I whispered.

"Vampire," she replied. "I smell vampire."

My eyes widened.

Uh oh.

Suddenly, the door began to glow. Peridot held onto my arm. Beams of what looked like purple light came through the door and onto the floor. A beam of white light shot through the door and onto that spot on the floor, and it dimmed quickly to reveal a vampire.

Tanzanite.

She had teleported inside. She grinned at us. Peridot got up to attack her, but she teleported before Peridot could reach her. She teleported next to me and grabbed my arm. Right as she began to teleport, Peridot grabbed her. Tanzanite teleported the three of us outside into the air, and then safely onto the ground. She growled at her unsuccessful attempt to take me. She shoved Peridot, and then began to teleport away. Peridot quickly came running, eventually gaining so much speed that she was able to keep up with every short distance Tanzanite covered with every time she teleported.

In every time that Tanzanite wasn't teleporting, I could see Topaz's army. They had chosen tonight to ambush us. I noted how much closer I was getting to Topaz. Peridot would have to speed up even more to save me. Tanzanite teleported again, and Peridot sped up. She had gotten so fast that she had even started to get ahead of us. She realized this, and took a chance at grabbing Tanzanite. Her attempt worked, and she teleported with us. She then proceeded to take Tanzanite down after freeing me from her grasp. Peridot picked me up and began to run back to the house before Tanzanite got up.

"What's happening?!" I asked.

"Vampires are ambushing us," Peridot replied. "I'm getting you back inside."

"How did you keep up?!" I asked.

"I'm not sure," Peridot answered. "I've never run so fast in my life."

I looked back at the vampires. I saw Dravite staring us down. She had heard Peridot and Tanzanite coming. She ran away and disappeared from my sight. I looked at the house as it got increasingly closer to us. I just wanted to be safely inside.

"Get that dog!" I heard Topaz shout.

Dravite must have told her.

Peridot gasped quietly and picked up the pace. She was too late. All eyes were on us, and a few of the vampires were on our trail. Peridot let out little huffs as she ran. I could just feel how stressed she was. I clung to her and hoped that we would make it to the house before any vampires got to us.

Our luck didn't seem to go that way. A vampire jumped in front of us at the last second. Peridot didn't have much time to make a decision. She jumped to the side and rolled across the sand with her hand on my head to protect me from getting hurt. We stopped next to a tree. I landed on top of Peridot. I was horrified.

"Are you alright?!" Peridot asked.

I nodded. "I'm okay," I said.

"Stay close," Peridot replied. "Vampires."

Peridot carefully placed me on the ground in front of the tree and held onto me. Dravite approached us, followed by her sister.

"What do you want?" Peridot asked.