Benched

Chapter 28:

We were losing, not by a lot, but we were losing.

I didn't do losing. The word lose was barwly in my vocabulary.

At half time I called the team into the changing rooms and just stared at them until coach came in. Then he just stared at me.

"Well?" he asked "What the fuck is happening right now?"

"I don't bloody know, ask them!" I shouted.

I get it, coach wasn't very impressed with how we were playing, but then again nor was I and I was playing.

"WELL?" he asked me "You're captain Parker, act like it and sort out your team."

Then he just walked out. He wasn't very impressed.

"Sort your fucking lives out, and play football."

I walked out and onto the sidelines where coach was having an argument with Cribbin.

"What do you mean she can't be trusted? She hasn't done anything yet today!" Coach shouted.

"I'm aware of that, but she cant be trusted. Pull her out of the match, or I will, and she won't go back on again." said Cribbin. Then he walked off and I was about to walk over to Coach when Cribbin grabbed my arm and pulled me to the side.

"Listen." he said "Don't talk, just listen. You know that I don't trust you. You know that I think that when you play the frogs shit is gonna go down. I could pull you out of the match, but that would mean suspending you from play and that is a lot of aggrevation and paper work. Your coach could, but he has faith in you. Prove me wrong and him right - don't fuck up this match."

"Sure thing sir." I said "It would be my pleasure to prove you wrong."

And one day I would, but I knew that wasn't going to be the day it happened. I was on my best behaviour when my brother had the guy from oxford come but now he was gone, well, lets just say that I had a real hatred for the Frogs and their muggyness.

I walked over to coach.

"Seriously," he said "if you fuck this match up Parker, I am going to kill you. And if you do, don't let Cribbin catch you because then he'll suspend you from play and he said that I can do the paper work."

"God Coach," I said, indignantly "Have a little faith in me. I can behave sometimes."

"Last time we played a match against the frogs I had to pull you out of the match three times, and at the end of it Cribbin suspended you from the next three matches. Excuse me if I don't think you've turned over a new leaf."

"Oh come on! You know me, Coach!"

"Yes," he said "and that's why I thought I'd warn you. If you do anything other than play football when we play the Frog, I am personally gonna go up to oxford and tell them everything."

I nodded. Going to Oxford was more my brothers thing anyway.

I walked over to the team who were in a huddle on the field. We had to win. I was really competitive, and therefore I wanted to win.

"We have half an hour left of this match and then that's it. We play this, and I've already decided to play dirty with the Frogs. Please just win this match. We need to play better. Much better. I hate losing. Fuck, we all hate losing. I just can't lose against Sylvestors. Clark called it an easy win. And you know what? As much as I fucking hate him, he's right. It should have been an easy win. What's happening?" I said "Don't fucking answer. I know what's happening. You think that if we don't win, it wont matter. You're saving your energy when we play the Frogs. Don't bother."