Conditioning

Chapter 31:

Shane drove me home, and we kissed again before I went in. What I saw shocked me; I'm not going to lie.

Matt was sitting on the sofa, playing Fifa. It really was back to normal. Almost like the last two moths didn't happen.

"You came back then." I said.

"I know, call me a hypocrite, but I did miss it here." he said "And we've got a bigger TV. More Fifa."

"You're insane. I've never seen anyone love Fifa as much as you."

I looked at the wall clock.

It was half eleven, and I thought that would be a good time to throw in the towel.

"I'm going to bed." I said "Night."

Matt muttered a reply, but was more interested with the goal he was scoring.

It was nice to be back in my own bed. I plugged my phone in and saw I had a text from Becket.

Coach wants to see us all in the morning. Might be practice. Want to pick me up @6? - Becket

I rolled my eyes. I don't even know how Coach tells him all this, but he always manages to let me know if he wants a lift.

Sure, whatever. Thanks for some prior warning - Kel

I fell asleep knowing everything was back to normal and good again.

Next thing I knew, my flipping alarm was blaring in my ears.

I switched it off and went to wake my brother up.

"Matt! Get up!" I shouted "Practice."

"No."

"Yes!" I shouted "Up now or I'm leaving without you, and you can explain to Coach why you're late!"

I heard him hit the floor, and I ran in and used the bathroom before he got a chance. I got dressed and went downstairs. My phone vibrated.

"Hello?" I said.

"Miss me?" Shane asked.

"Oh yeah," I said, sarcastically, "I don't know how I'm ever going to survive without you."

"Pick me up?"

"Dream on." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Please..." he said "Mum took my keys."

"Why?" I asked.

"After we spoke last night, I went and bought a bottle of vodka and went and drank it with my mates at the skate park. Drove drunk and she was awake when I got in."

"Well then, I'm glad she took your keys. You could have hurt yourself." I said "Fine. I'll pick you up."

"Thanks. Love you."

I waited a minuet.

"Love you too."

I shouted up to Shane "I'm going to pick up Shane. I'll be back."

I didn't wait for him to reply. I didn't even want to imagine what he would say when I told him what had happened. And the teasing and bitching that would come after. I pulled up outside Shane's house, and honked the horn.

"Miss me?" I asked when he got in the car.

"Loads."

Then we kissed again, and I realised just how much I had missed it. Me and Shane, some minor cheating aside, were perfect for one another. Some people might say I was an idiot for taking him back, and I probably was, but I couldn't just forget that I loved him. Don't get me wrong, I knew full well I could live without a man, but I didn't want to if I didn't have to. Shane was different, and I could tell that he was really sorry.