Acceptance

Chapter 32:

I went and got changed, but I didn't want to leave the changing room. Someone was going to be waiting out there for me, and I knew that whoever it was I wasn't going to want to speak with them. Then someone knocked on the door.

"Are you ready?" asked Matt.

"No."

"I'm gonna go to class then." he said "You're not going to turn up, are you?"

"No."

"I'll cover for you then."

"Ok. Thanks."

He walked off. I was hoping no one had PE first period, but it didn't matter that much because the fucking queen of England could have walked in at this point and I wouldn't have moved.

I was angry at Coach. I didn't understand why he couldn't just be happy for me, or at least appreciate the fact that I'd tried to do what was best for the team. The others could fuck themselves. If they didn't think that I'd done the right thing, they should have just said it to my face. I could take it. I was strong. But there was a part of me, and I didn't know how big that part was, that thought I was an idiot. He'd cheated on me. I knew that he could do it again, and that part of me was trying really hard to not let me trust him again.

Who cares? I thought. If he cheated on me again, we'd be over for good.

But then there was George. We'd gotten really close - close enough to be almost classified as going out. I didn't want to hurt George, but in reality he'd only been my rebound guy. Maybe it was wrong of me to have done that to George, but maybe George should have known.

Then a class of year 7 girls had come into the changing rooms.

"Can I help you?" I snapped.

"Miss said that we were supposed to get changed in here..." said one of them, Becky. I'd heard of her. Coach had been saying she had some real potential and that I should talk to her about starting football.

"Why?" I asked "Who have you got for PE?"

"Coach Peters." she said "We can go in the other changing room."

"No." I said "It's fine. I was just leaving."

I grabbed my bags and walked out. I wish there had been someone like me in year 11 when I was in year 7. I would have fucking idolised them. I decided that, maybe, it would be best if I went to History. Shane was in the class with me, and so was Matt and Becket. The others were in Geography.

I walked in and sat down.

"Why are you late?" Mr Ward asked. He wasn't too bad really, and I was taking the piss by turning up half an hour late.

"I was at football." I said "And then I refused to leave the changing room."

"Is that a reason?" he asked "Because, from where I'm standing, you just told me you couldn't be bothered to come to class, and that would mean Matt just lied to me."

"I asked him to. And yes, you're right. I couldn't be arsed." I said "Now am I going to learn anything or should I leave?"

"You're a handful, Parker." he said.

Then he went on to explain all about how the Cold War was so interesting.

After twenty minuets, he put some questions on the board and I stopped looking like I was concentrating. Matt Becket, Shane and me shared a table.

"Can you just sort it out, please?" I asked "I know you don't like Shane, and I know that he's a dick, but can you at least try to get on please."

"I don't think you understand, Kel, he cheated on my best mate with my sister." said Becket "That's pathetic. And what's worse is that you took him back. He's not worth it. You're so much better than him, Parker."