11

The next day, with Tricia's support and assurance, Ike approached Firkle after his football practice.

Firkle sat on the bleachers, but, unlike his usual shivering, he was wearing Ike's jacket.
The jacket was way too big on him (still) and it pooled over his hands and waist. Ike thought girls looked amazing in his clothes.

Ike felt a warm blush crawling up his neck and settling on his cheeks.

"Hey Firkle," he said like he normally did.

Firkle eyed him curiously, suspiciously, but got up nonetheless, "Hi."

Firkle followed Ike down the bleachers and over to Ike's car. "Do you want a ride home?" Ike asked as he put his football equipment in the trunk.

Firkle's face was flushed (most likely from the cold) and he nodded- wait what.

"You do?" Firkle looked away from Ike his face reddening more and nodded again. Ike grinned really wide, "I didn't think you were going to say yes."

"Then I'll walk-"

"No! No," Ike said stepping toward Firkle, "I'll drive you, it's fine. I was just..." Ike stepped a little closer and Firkle gulped, "surprised..."

Then, before Firkle knew it, Ike was leaning down toward him, his eyes almost completely closed.

Ike has his eyes closed as he leaned down hoping this would work out well, when he stumbled forward.

Firkle had moves out of the way and walked to the passenger side of his car. Firkle opened the door without looking back at Ike and got in. Ike felt his blush worsen.

Did that count as rejection or failure?