Chapter 11: Holding on to You

After so much of inner struggle, he ignited the car and turn around with determination. He reached office and went to her cabin. But she was not there and her things too. He checked with receptionist, he said, "Sir, she left for the day 2 hours back". Immediately, he checked his phone for messages and calls. He did miss her 3 calls and a message. "I'm highly regretted to do this over phone, I have kept my resignation letter in your desk. Sorry for everything and I can't continue to work under you after what had happened between us.  I tried calling to inform you about the same but you didn't respond to my calls". Aditya re-read the message again and again for 3 more times.

He has to convince her and make her come back to office. He can't afford to lose her. He drove to her place and knocked on the door. When she opens the door, "Zoya, I really need to talk to you before you could finally decide on leaving DMG. Please hear me out. Please open the door and let me in", he asked her.

She opened the safety chain and let him in.

"Before you could say something, let me finish what I wanted to tell you", he said. She turned her back to him. "Zoya... What happened between us? It... It's not easy to forget, I know. I really don't know, what has gotten into me to kiss you, that day? But, it was not intentionally done. It was purely an accident; and you know, I was not in conscious too. I have never touched alcohol in last 2 years after my rehabilitate. But, on that day something happened made me drink to  the extent that I lost my conscience. It's my mistake, I totally agree. But you don't need to pay for my mistake. See, you don't have to leave DMG. I'll assign your reporting to Prem Sir. I totally understand why you avoided me past few days. Once I assign you to Prem Sir, you don't need to face me ever again or to think about the things happened between us. Let's please forget and move on".

"That's not possible, Aditya, it's not easy for me to forget, just like that", she whined. "Really, I don't want you to leave DMG, Prem sir is looking forward to you, take 2-3 days and think about it. And I'm not saying that you need to forget everything in a day, take your time, but don't leave DMG", he said.

As Zoya didn't respond after that, he added, "This is what I wanted to tell you, but when you come back to office. I assure you, that you won't be seeing me at all. I would never come into your life ever again and that's a promise", he said it with determination. "I'll leave you to decide and I'm not going to force you".

With that he left without another word from her house, he fought with himself not to look back for one last time at Zoya. He is so determined on one thing that he is ready to let her go of his love life but not from his office or his goddamn life.

Zoya turned and looks at the man who is walking towards his car without turning to look at her at least for one last time.

                                                  ***

On Monday morning, when Zoya get back to office, Arshad greeted her Good morning and asked her, "Did something happen between you and Aditya sir?" She was shocked with question but calmly asked, "Why are asking me like that?" Then she added, "Nothing happened between us".

"Nothing yaar, last week he came to me and asked me to assign your reporting to Prem sir. He also added that he should not be disturbed regarding this matter again", he said. "Also, as far as, I know Aditya sir would never do such things", he added. Zoya just lost in her thoughts.

"Hey!! Sorry, I forgot to tell what I really wanted to tell you? Just go and meet Prem sir, he'll hand over the client details that you'll be working on", he said and left her in thoughts.

Zoya was shocked or to say disappointed, she herself didn't know what's her feeling now. She is having some kind of mixed feelings. He really did what he said, he kept his promise? But somewhere Zoya felt agony and emptiness. She doesn't know why? But in her heart she feels some discomfort. "Why am I not feeling soothe over this decision? I avoided him since the day, he kissed me. Now he is giving the space I needed but why I feel like I don't want this space?"