Chapter 20: I Love You, Aditya

Zoya rang the door bell of Riyaz's house. Zara opened the door. "Hey, Zoya", Zara hugged her and Zoya hugs her back and asked, "Hey Zara, how are you and Riyaz?" "We're good, how are you?" Zara asked. "I'm good. Where is Riyaz? I couldn't see him anywhere around", she asked.

"Offooo... Your friend just now went to take his bath after you rang the bell. He'll back in a minute", Zara said. Zoya went to sit down in the couch. Zara noticed and said, "Oi... Don't sit... Just go and make yourself coffee". She smiled and move towards kitchen. Zara said behind her, "For me too..." Zoya nodded.

"Hey... Where is Zoya?" Riyaz came running to the living room. Zoya came up with 3 cups of coffee and offered one to Riyaz, "Hey... Thank you", he said and she gave one to Zara and she took her cup and all three sat on the couch. "Hmmmm... Yummm... Nice coffee, Zoya. Thank you, it's been long time I had your coffee", Zara said after taking a sip and smelled the cup.

Riyaz and Zoya laughed together shaking her head. "Skeleton, you told me that you need to talk, what is it about?" Zoya asked. Riyaz looked at Zara; she nodded and said, "You guys carry on in the study. I'll start with dinner. Zoya have dinner here". Both nodded and moved to study.

"Now tell me, what is it?" Zoya asked. "You tell me, Zoya. What's happening with you?" he asked. She looked away in shock but managed, "What? What happened to me? I'm fine", she said. "No, you're not. Something is definitely off from your usual", he said confidently. She looked at him perplexed. "Zoya... Do you remember what next month is?" he asked her. "Next month is December. What's with it?" she asked.

"Yeah... December, that's why I said you're off from your usual, you don't know what's coming in 10 days. The Zoya, I know, wouldn't be this casual when it's only 10 days left for her finals and she can't go on a lunch alone too. So, tell me Gundoos, what's happening?" Riyaz said.

"I... I didn't... forget about... finals... I... I was... busy... with... my work... I couldn't... find... time... to think... about finals..." Zoya said without looking at him.

"Oh! Come on, Zoya. You know, you can't lie on my face. We're not just friends for sake, I know you well enough, to know when you're lying or saying the truth", Riyaz said holding her arms and looking at her eyes.

Zoya realised she can't lie or bluff something to Riyaz, she know she can't hide anything now. She sighed and emptied her coffee. She turned to Riyaz and said, "I'm sorry, Riyaz. I lied to you about the night out with Noor. I... I... I went to... dinner... with Aditya. During your marriage, he said he wanted to be my friend and I couldn't stop myself from accepting his friendship. Then, he asked me, whether I'm willing to report to him back. I told him, I don't mind, but I can't leave Prem sir in the middle. Next day, he took over the clients from Prem sir and changed my reporting too. To know more about each other, he asked me to join for dinner. I lied to you that I'm going out with Noor because I don't want you to think that... that I'm in love with Aditya. And to start your gyaan. Also, yesterday afternoon, he asked me out for lunch. When I was in the car with him, he listened to our phone conversation and got upset with me that I lied about our relationship and lunch to you".

She paused after a long explanation so fast without breathing. She took breaths in and out for few minutes and she continued while her phone beeped but she ignored it.

"I totally forgot about the finals, Riyaz, as my mind is fully occupied..." before she could finish Riyaz cuts in, "with Aditya". She looked at Riyaz and he completed, "Am I right, Zoya?" She nodded and her eyes welled up.

Riyaz smiled and said, "You life is occupied with Aditya and you don't want to share your friends about your friendship with Aditya and most importantly you even forgot about you finals. If this is not love, then what is it? Zoya, please stop lying to yourself and others".