Chapter 3

Brian wouldn't look at me, he just stared at the kitchen counter and that spoke volumes on his behalf. My heart was in my throat while I waited for him to confirm what I already suspected.

"Damn it!! Her sister-in-law is in town from Brazil, make sure someone notifies her in the morning. I'll tell her cousin, I've got it!" he growled before hanging up.

"No . . ."

"Charlie . . ."

"You said not to worry! You said she'd be fine!" I argued.

"Baby, I'm so sorry. I don't know what happened but I promise I'll find out." he said, pulling me into his arms and letting me cry.

I figured that I cried myself to sleep because the next thing I know was that its morning and I'm in bed. Water was running in the bathroom so Brian must be in the shower. My mind is numb, I just can't believe it, Letty's dead. I walked into the bathroom and hopped into the shower with him.

He knew better than to get frisky, he just held me and let me cry some more. I decided to go back to the house despite the fact that she told me to leave. This is the time where we should be together, no one will understand our pain the way we can so I know it's the right decision, despite the possible outcome.

I checked the weather forecast for today because it's cloudy out right now. Since the weather is calling for rain I pulled on a pair of black jeans, black crop top, gray hoodie, gray beanie, and white Vans. Something simple to keep me going.

"My hoodie?" Brian asked when I walked out of the room.

"Yeah, who's else would I use?"

"No one's if they know what's good for them. You going home?" he asked, wrapping his arms around me.

"Yeah, she won't admit it but she's gonna need me. I have to be there."

"Hey, it's okay, I understand and I have to go to the office too, I'll be there most of the day. You go be with your family, call me if you need anything."

"I love you." I whispered against his lips.

"Charlotte, I'm so sorry. I never meant for this to happen."

"I know, she knew what she was getting into. This isn't your fault."

"I shouldn't have let her . . ."

"No, don't go there. She came to you and she knew what she was getting into. Do not blame yourself." I told him, taking his face in my hands.

"If I hadn't . . ."

"Why'd you do it?" I asked suddenly.

"Do what?"

"Why did you accept to help Letty?"

"You won't talk about it but I know that you miss him. All of you miss him but now things are different, Charlie."

"What do you mean?"

"Charlie, babe, if Domes comes back . . . if he shows up in the states now he'll be arrested. He's still a wanted criminal and a fugitive." Brian said, making me panic.

"I don't see how he could find out."

"Charlotte, I know that you love him but if he comes back you have to keep away from him."

"Brian . . ."

"It's for your own good and your safety. If the police find you with him or if they find that you've been in contact with him then you can be arrested too."

"Don't worry about it, I'm not that stupid."

"I know."

"Go be a good cop, I'll talk to you later." I told him.