Chapter 9

"Yes, will you meet up with me? When all of this is over and I find somewhere safe to be, will you come to me?"

"I . . . I don't know."

"That's fair, think about it. Remember that I love you, I had to do this for Letty. Once I saw her after action report it wasn't about the job anymore. It wasn't about the fact that he killed another informant, no, it was about a friend. Braga killed my friend and I wanted revenge for her. I didn't intend to go undercover or break my promise to you but this was important to me."

"It's all about the action."

"What?"

"It's all about the action for you. Sitting behind a desk isn't something that you're comfortable with and I know that but you did break your promise. I can't just . . ."

"I know, I'll work for the rest of our lives to show you that you can trust me."

"When do you leave?"

"As soon as I go back downstairs, I think."

"We should get dressed then." I whispered again, pulling away from him.

"Charlie wait." he replied, jumping out of the bed.

"No, it's okay, you have to do this, right? You have to finish it."

"Baby, please think about it." he pleaded, standing behind me he wrapped his arms around my waist and bent lower to kiss my neck.

"I need to finish getting dressed."

"Charlotte . . ."

"I'll think about it, now we have to go downstairs. The faster you leave, the faster whatever this is will be done and I'll hear from you again." I said, sliding my hand over his then turning around in his arms.

"I'm very much aware that you deserve better than this and I promise you that I'll find a way to make this up to you."

"We'll see." I said, letting him brush his kiss over my lips.

We got dressed in silence but I could feel him watching me. I managed to keep the tears in and prayed that I could keep them in longer. Dom was waiting for Brian in the garage and was honestly dreading saying goodbye.

"How do you say goodbye to your only brother who isn't really your brother?" I asked him when he hugged me.

"You don't, you were always more like another sister to me than my cousin. I love you kid."

"I love you too, be careful." I told them.

"We will." Brian said.

Before he could turn away I held my hand out to him, Dom turned away and got into the car to give us a moment. I slid my arms around his waist and laid my head on his chest.

"Please be careful." I whispered.

"I'll see you soon." he said, kissing my head.

"I love you."

"That's all I need." he replied, tipping my head back for a kiss.

As they left I couldn't help but think about my life. These are the men in my life, the men that I wouldn't change for anything in the world. To that end, I guess you can say that I brought all of this suffering on myself.

I chose Brian, I chose to stay close to Dom, I chose to come back to Los Angeles. I honestly and literally did this to myself but I wouldn't change it or them. Brian is the man that I love and Dom is the big brother of my dreams. This is the family that I chose so I've gotta take the ups with the downs and pray for the best. They will be okay if not, I'm gonna kick their asses.