Chapter 2: The Dream, The Painter, and The Musician

I have to run.

I have to escape from them.

The leaves and tree branches crunched beneath my feet as I kept running without any sense of direction. The distant echo of the horses chasing after me didn't seem very far by now.

They're catching up.

Suddenly, I tripped and fell to the ground.

This must be it. My last moments... My dying breaths...

"There she is!" a shout came from the hooded men chasing after my very soul.

They've found me.

I hung my head low, ready to accept my fate. Tears trickled along my cheeks as I whispered my final words.

"I'm sorry... Looks like I couldn't keep my promise after all..."

The sound of his unsheathing sword sent shivers down my spine.

"I love you."

His blade ran through my chest, straight to the heart. My warm blood could be seen dripping on the ice-cold edge. With it, his sickening grin was seen on its reflection.

I gasped as I opened my eyes to see our classroom with the professor now eyeing to where I sat

"Is something troubling you, Miss Rosette?" he examined me while adjusting the rim of his glasses.

"N-No, not at all, Professor, I was just overwhelmed with how the human mind works!"

So overwhelmed that I fell asleep and dreamed about that scary nightmare of me dying again...

"I see. Glad to know that at least a few students are interested in Psychology. Now then, to continue the lesson..." He prescinded to the board and carried on with the lecture.

Whew. Avoided another scolding.

"Nice lie. What were you dreaming about that made you almost jump out of your seat anyway?"

I whipped to the person beside me. It was Lisa. She always loved to make fun of me.

"Was it scary? Your face went pale. Must be the horror movie we watched yesterday, huh."

I didn't bother answering her. Rather, I don't want to.

"Ha-ha, scaredy-cat." She playfully grinned at me, teasing.

I simply rolled my eyes at her. "No, you idiot, it's that nightmare I've always told you about."

She looked at me more seriously this time. Lisa was the only one who knew how haunting this nightmare is for me. I mean, it's been appearing in my sleep for as long as I can remember. Probably back in childhood when I was able to recall my dreams.