Chapter 13: The Truth And A Lie

The sound of crinkling curtains made me jolt from my sitting position, the bright rays of the sun flashing upon my very own eyes. Almost like a vampire, I hissed and covered my face from the annoyance.

"Good morning, young miss! Rise and shine! Breakfast will be ready in a short while—oh, you are already up. That is surprising."

Gertrude rang her tiny bell and the rest of the handmaidens scurried inside the bedroom, one carrying my silver tray, a simple elegant fabric of baby pink with three white round buttons at my chest, each a tiny size.

My personal maid glided towards me, humming a sweet tune. However, she stopped the moment she saw me at a close range, gasping at the sight that welcomes her.

"Oh my! Young miss, there are dark circles under your eyes! Did you not get enough sleep, perhaps?"

Gertrude, dearie, I couldn't even shut my eyelids to a close. I was afraid that creepy cult crap man might kill me in my slumber.

"I had a rough night, I guess." I shrugged. I wasn't lying. But I wasn't telling the whole truth either.

Fortunately for me, Gertrude respected privacy, so she refrained from asking any further.

I glanced at the three buttons of my attire and cringed. Somehow, the number 3 only kept giving me bad memories. The fact that Prince Agustus came to my rescue thrice and threw three knives to threaten my murderer gives me a reason to say so.

The Heir. I have to let the Heir know about this.

"Gertrude, I want to have a personal discussion with Prince Eugene today. Is he in his office as of now?"

The handmaidens gave me a look of jealousy after hearing my words. Gertrude had to glare at them so they would get back to work.

"He should be." She responded, dipping her head as she bowed down, the rest of the maidens followed her act of courtesy and respect.

Without much time to lose, I hurriedly hopped out of bed. I was about to swing the door wide open when Gertrude stopped me.

"You're going out like that?! Goodness dear, no. Have breakfast first and wear the appropriate dress! You cannot just greet the Heir with messed up hair in a nightgown!" she piped up in an abrupt panic, a grimacing look plastered upon her.

I glanced at the mirror to see my reflection, and whoa I looked horrible. "R-Right, sorry."

Appearing quite proper this time, I proceeded to knock on the Heir's golden door with crimson markings

Appearing quite proper this time, I proceeded to knock on the Heir's golden door with crimson markings. I will be frequently visiting this place from now on.

"It is Rosette, Your Highness. May I speak with you?"

There was a fraction of a moment before the sound of shuffling papers reached my ears. It gave me the idea that the prince might've been busy. I didn't want to cause a disturbance. I was about to tell him that when his voice broke out from the inside.